1/48 Hasegawa A6M3 type 22

Started by Woody Kubacki · 36 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Quick update, tail codes on and some weathering added to the wing roots

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A quick update full of quality, my friend @wkubacki! Looks are absolutely stunning!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Really nice work on the weathering, Woody @wkubacki

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 2 months ago:

After a break while working on the type (or is it model) 52, I’m back on this plane. I’m getting a little bored of it, to be honest, so I want to finish it up in the next week. This week I have been weathering the plane with various oils and enamel panel washes. I’m nearly done the undersides, I want to pull out my acrylic inks and get some staining done . Then it’s exhaust and installing the landing gear.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking nicely weathered, my friend @wkubacki!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is great weathering, Woody @wkubacki
    Very nicely done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys, the end is in sight.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

You're real close to a very nice result, @wkubacki

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Just went through this build as I am a bit late to the party, and what a treat it was. Very nice work all over Woody! Looking forward to the last bits.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents. A couple more days and she will be done. One thing I’m becoming more aware of is the vagueness of the positioning of the wheels onto the gear legs and the gear legs into the gear bay. There is so much slop that the result has the chance of looking terrible.

I glued the wheels to the struts first and then I will The assembly into the gear bay, but I’m having second thoughts to this approach. I think it would be easier to align the wheels once the legs are glued in place. The challenge would be to then glue the doors on to the legs and have all attachment points stick to the legs.

How do you guys ensure proper alignment in cases like this?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

On my Zero, I first glued the struts to the bays, then the wheels and finished with the doors, my friend @wkubacki. I was more or less ok with this approach. I generally avoid gluing the wheels onto the legs prior to attaching the latter to the the bays, as I fear alignment issues might arise 9if the legs are aligned, the wheels might not and so on.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Spiros, that probably the best approach, and one I'll have to adopt on the next build. If I was really keen I could build a jig for wheel and leg alignment.

• Profile Photo

@wkubacki, my preferrence is also to apply the struts first as described by Spiros @fiveten. To me it is easier to make small alignment corrections on the wheels only at a later stage instead of trying to correct the alignment with the wheels mounted on the struts.

• Profile Photo

Finally got some time to take a few photos tonight. Thanks for all your encouragement.

22 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is an amazing result, Woody @wkubacki
    So much realism in the applied weathering.