1/48 Hasegawa A6M3 type 22

Started by Woody Kubacki · 36 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I really like the paint work on this scheme @wkubacki.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks @johnb, the models itself was only above average level effort, it was the paint , specifically how the field camp was applied, that I wanted to work on. I’ve seen a lot of these types with completely random spray patterns and I didn’t think that’s how they would have painted these in the field, although other Zeros did have that style of camo

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Superb result, my friend @wkubacki!
    Thanks for contributing to the Empire Of Japan GB with yet another superlative entry!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Woody Kubacki (@wkubacki)
    This has to be one of the best painted A6M's I have ever seen. I REALLY like it ! I think your painting style is spot on. I look forward to seeing these beauties in the headlines section. Thank you for continuing to support our Empire of Japan group. I have a pair of 1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Hien's, a 1/48 Hasegawa B5N-1 Kate, and another pair of 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-45 Toryu's that were started a while back that I really should finish up soon.

After seeing how nicely your builds have turned out, it's very inspirational and that just might be the kick in the pants I needed to get going on these again.

Thanks again ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@lgardner @fiveten @tcinla

Thanks guys. Louis, start building those kits. I have a few 1/32 Ki-61 kits myself, 2 of which are the early ko/otsu boxings, which I really am looking forward to paint as a 68/78 Sentai New Guinea plane. I don't think I'm ready yet to dive into a 1/32 kit as I am on a Hasegawa Zero kick at the moment (have another 2 on the go and have another 6 left to build). I'll be posting up the next Hasegawa Zero soon.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Woody Kubacki (@wkubacki)
    Please feel free to start a build journal of as many as you like when the proper time comes. I completely understand having the mojo going for a particular project.

As far as the Hasegawa Ki-61's, I wanted to build one with the "snake weave" camouflage pattern, likely serving on or near Rabaul. This would include the 68th and 78 Sentai. I have recently purchased several excellent books from Avonmore, and one covers the IJA units in the Solomon's area from 1942 through 1944. These Avonmore books written by Michael John Claringbould are all incredibly well researched, and there are some very authentic illustrations that were painstakingly done after years of research through various Japanese, American archives, and also first hand veteran accounts from both sides that were taken shortly after the War ended.

If you are interested, I can send you more information on where I obtained it. The title is "Pacific Profiles Volume One, Japanese Army Fighters New Guinea &the Solomons 1942-1944.

The second Ki-61 I am building will be in overall Natural Metal and I wanted to do it as an Akeno Flying School machine.

I'm looking forward to your next installment.