1/48 Hasegawa Ki-44-II Ko Wakamatsu's Bird

Started by Woody Kubacki · 35 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A bit more progress, painted the red band on the fuselage and repainted the cowl 2 times, and I’m still not happy with it. I’ve been also tinkering with a way to oxidize the metallic finish by using a very diluted flat clear (GX114 from Mr Hobby with MRT 1:30). I was trying it out freehand and through a stencil followed by a very light blend coat. I think this may work , especially in conjunction with oils and panel washes, to achieve a work and weathered look (the better results are along the wing leading edge of my paint mule)

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

SUPERB painting, my friend @wkubacki!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking great so far, Woody @wkubacki
    Always good to have a paint mule at hand.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Well, after a brief interlude which involved me removing the intake and exhaust side of an old Toyota motor in my 1985 Pickup (22R if anyone cares) and fixing a bunch of oil leaks and removing old emissions components AND making it all run again, I am back to the modeling world. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it, but I have a Model show that I would like to enter this plane in on September 10th. So now it's crunch time.

Last week I added the 8 or so stencil decals to the plane after I cut them off the sheet as close to the stencil as possible to minimize the size of the backing film. I used Tamiya Mark Fit Strong to get the decals to conform to the surface as best I could. Then I mixed some Aotake from clear blue and green and painted the gear bays and clamshell doors. I have a photo that shows the landing gear doors very clearly and it is obvious that only the clam shell doors were painted in aotake, and not the main gear doors (which is a neat detail, but could be specific to that particular aircraft only). Then I painted various panels different shades of metallic paint.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next I played around with highly thinned Mr Color GX114 flat clear with Mr Hobby Rapid thinner sprayed on bare metal to get a slight worn/oxidized look. I came up with a ratio of 40:1 thinner to flat clear, sprayed through an Uschi stencil about 2cm from the surface of the model to avoid hard edges. This was the part I was most worried about, as the effect could ruin my model. As it turns out, I was very careful with my spray pattern and not overdoing it and I think it came out nice.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

You are really on a tight time frame, but you are proceeding really effectively, my friend @wkubacki!
    Looking superb!
    P.S. Congratulations on the Toyota fixing!

• Profile Photo

Next up was weathering the interior of the cowl with various black and dark brown oils. I finally glued on the oil cooler but noticed that it didn't quite conform to the cowling so I used MS1500 and brushed it on to fill the slight gap, and used thinner on a qtip to wipe off the excess and repainted the bottom of the cowl (probably for the 4th time). That teaches me to try to glue something onto a painted part

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And Finally that brings us to yesterday, when I started on the oil weathering. I used a variety of oils (carbon black, burnt umber and sienna) and thinned them and applied them to the surface with a brush and then used another brush to blend them in or used a brush wetted in thinner to move the oils around some more.

Applying oils on a shiny surface is a challenge, and sometimes the oils seem to cover an entire panel where I only wanted a portion of it covered. to combat this and get a more random finish, I used a technique I discovered when weathering my Raiden, and that was to flick thinner onto the model from a small brush. When the thinner lands on the model it is random and it creates a flat finish when it flashes off (tide marks is what these are called). I then take a another small stiff brush and blend in the edges.

I'm pleased with the results of only one night of weathering. I have yet to do the undersides and gear doors, and I will add some oil leaks/streaks that I have seen in my photo collections as well as inks applied with a sponge as I did with my last Raiden. Only 3 more nights left, But I think I can do it. I need to leave the last night for final assembly, canopy, antenna wire, and creating 4 transport boxes for my models (J2M3, J2M5, A6M2 and the Ki-44).

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Spiros Pendedekas Thanks Spiros, I'm a bit of a Toyota nut, I have a a fair amount of Toyota trucks that I like to fix and drive, and am always looking for more.

Here is the engine all cleaned up. It doesn’t make much power and it has a knock, but at least now it doesn’t leak. It’s a summer truck anyways, so I’ll soon be putting it in hibernation for the winter

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great work done on both, Woody @wkubacki
    The Toyota engine looking nice and clean while the Ki-44 looks nicely worn.
    Nice oxidation result.

• Profile Photo

You never stop amazing me with your techniques, my friend @wkubacki! This is some superb weathering! it is really difficult to weather an NMF plane but you did it spotlessly! Well done!
    Looks like you will be set on time, I can only imagine the time your J2M3, J2M5, A6M2 and the Ki-44 will be boxed and head to the contest, earning well deserved prizes.
    Your job on the Toyota is great!

• Profile Photo

Finito! Panel wash, oils, and inks and it’s done. Actually I finished this last Saturday morning, just in time for a local show. Photos were taken with my phone as I wanted pictures before this kit was broken or too dusty. There’s another show I’m attending October 1 and I’m bound to break something in the move.

Thanks for following, and on to the next model.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I think you got a very good look to the weathered aluminum, Woody. I looke like NMF out in the sun that I have seen.

• Profile Photo

Congratulations my friend @wkubacki! A superb result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Really nice work, Woody @wkubacki
    This build clearly shows your excellent modelling skills.
    Looking forward to see it on the headlines.