1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 22a

Started by Woody Kubacki · 62 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Weathering looks wonderul, Woody @wkubacki, as does the decalling!

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years ago:

@fiveten I can tell you I was a bit nervous with the decals, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Also noticed one of my daughter's pictures of her new tooth snuck in there, haha.

• Profile Photo

I am usually nervous with painting insignia, my friend @wkubacki! It is a departure from "decals safety" 🙂 .
    I should maybe start making small steps out of my decal comfort zone...
    My older son (6) is changing his teeth, he puts the old ones under his pillow, for the fairy to take it during the night!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

I picked up lots of tips following along! Looking wonderful. Masterful work.

• Profile Photo

Quick update tonight. I mixed up some oils and white spirit for a panel line for the upper surfaces I used Abteilung 502 Faded Green, which is pretty dark, and a bit of black. For the undersides I used Buff, Cream Brown, and black.

Next I sealed the wash with GX114 Flat and then proceeded with oil weathering up top. I wanted the paint to look worn and washed out so I chose Buff, oxide of chromium, and faded green and applied them sparsely throughout the upper sides and then used a brush to blend them in initially. Then I took a brush sweater in Zippo lighter fluid (naphtha, works like white spirits but dries much faster) and dabbed the surface to unify it. Then I took a larger brush (a stuff short filbert), and blended the paints in as the naptha left tide marks . This is the first time using this method, as I previously would do more of a straight oil application. I like this method because it gives a more varied surface .

I will have to give the oils some time to dry (a day should be enough if I’m careful) and then start applying black/burnt umber mix for grease and oil stains and spills. I really should work on the gunsight and glue the wingtip and tail Nav lights and work on the landing gear. Hope to complete this build by the end of the week and jump into the next one, I’m undecided which plane but it will be a Navy aircraft as I want to work on weathering the dark green.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your weathering techniques and results are (among other of your modeling qualities) Master class, my friend @wkubacki!
    That's amazing weathering!
    Looking forward to this beauty of a Zero!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Awesome result of the weathering session Woody.

• Profile Photo

Just making it up as I go. The beauty of oils is that they can be wiped off with white spirits if you don't like them

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

Looking good Woody! Love the weathering. Oils are so much fun.

• Profile Photo

Well I finally finished. Actually I have to paint and install the pitot, but otherwise it’s done. Turned out pretty well, I’m especially happy with the topsides showing a well worn, but not overly weathered look.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

What a great result - this has been very inspiring, and I had to add one to my stash, hoping some day to make one, it may not become as nice as yours, but at least you have shown us that the kit is a good base for a build.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

Very nice build Woody! Looks like your best one yet. Paint job is perfect. I like the subtle weathering too

• Profile Photo

This is an amazing build, my friend @wkubacki!
    You did atruly wondeful job on your Zero. Painting is spotless and weathering is spot-on, a very realistic result, indeed!
    Your build thread was great! Thanks for shariing all these great techniques with us here, in this fantastic, ever growing Empire of Japan Group Build!
    Looking forward to your next installment(s)!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gents for the kind words. The last bits to finish the plane were the most tedious for me (like the landing gear), but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts, getting to use my imagination with the oils and washed and splatter . Actually, I found the Mr Hobby Weathering products to be very handy.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

I like your Zero-Sen! I can see that I could learn a lot from you.