1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 32 Hamp

Started by Jeremy Millan · 44 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey fellas I’m back after a 4 month break from modeling and got the itch again to build another one. This time it’ll be an old Tamiya Kit, the clipped wing model 32 Hamp. I think I’ll be doing a field painted scheme on this one with painted markings as well. I got cockpit done and the fuselage glued together. The wings still need to be glued and seams cleaned up. That’s all for now

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hello Jeremy. @jmillan
    This is a good model even though it was originally marketed in the 1970's. I have two of these underway as part of the Operation Vengeance / Yamamoto mission.

It's good to have you back here building another kit. The work you have done on the cockpit looks fantastic ! Where did you get the seat harness from ?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis. Got them on eBay a while back. Made by eduard

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

What a great entry, my friend @mvtb to our beloved and limitless EoJ GB! And what a progress already!
    This is a classic gem of a kit, looking forward to see it coming along!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great that you are back Jeremy - I shall be following with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Jeremy. I found that kit for very well when I built it last year. Field camo Zeros are so much more interesting than the usual green over grey (hence why I was stuck with how to Make mine interesting)

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

Finally got a chance to do a lil modeling it’s been too long. Fuselage and wings glued together and putty for the seams which will be sanded later. I got the cowl glued up with open flaps this time. That was very tricky to get flush with Minor sanding required. Can’t wait to get the seams all cleaned up then on to primer. I’m itching to lay down some paint already. Haha Hopefully I’ll have a better update next time. Cheers

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

I forgot to ask - the instruments where do they come from? With the larger parts connected it is gaining speed...

• Profile Photo

The instruments is just the stock decal from the kit. Pretty 2 dimensional but it works. Haha

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years ago:

Looks good dude. For the age of this kit I was surprised how well it comes together. Hope you get some more bench time in soon

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @jmillan!
    Good job on the cowling! Those flaps can be nasty!
    Looking forward to this nice build!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years ago:

Moving along right smartly. Your red putty looks like 3M Spot Putty. If you want to avoid sanding...

1) Lay some tape on either side of the gap, the closer the better. I use blue painter tape as its cheap. It's best to work on one gap at a time

2) Lay on your mud. You don't have to be neat as the over flow goes on the tape.

3) Immediately remove all the tape

4) Now the fun part and it involves nail polish remover and Q-tips. Immediately after you remove the tape, dip a Q-tip into the nail polish remover and start removing the putty. As long as the putty is still in the wet stage it comes of very easily. No rivets or panel lines are harmed in this process. Don't overdo the nail polish remover as some have said it can harm the plastic, especially if it contains acetone. Having said that, I have done this quite a bit and have also stripped the paint from four entire 1:48 single engine fighters of various brands using nail polish remover and never had an issue...yet. This is what I use...

• Profile Photo

Hey George! @blackadder57 Thnx for the tip. Yes that is 3M Spot Putty. I thinned it with lacquer thinner before I applied it so it wouldn't be so thick. I'll use your trick next time.

• Profile Photo

Had a nice Sunday working on the Hamp and made quite a bit of progress. Got down the primer followed by the marble layer using splatter templates (first time using these, saves alot of time). Next came the amber grey. I used Nick of aviation of Japan’s custom tamiya mix for that. Then Sprayed some silver in areas for chipping and the cowl as well. Also painted the meatballs. I think next will be the hairspray for chipping then the field applied paint job followed by some weathering. Until next time fellas.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.