1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 32 Hamp

Started by Jeremy Millan · 44 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

That is quite a productive Sunday you had there. Hairspray and nailpolishremover - the beauty saloon might soon have to add kits to their lines of products 🙂
    Great tips - thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nice progress, my friend @jmillan!
    Great weathering and the Sakae looks nice!

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years ago:

You're just moving along there, wow. makes my plodding progress on my Zero that much slower. Just one observation, it looks like the propeller blades have some parting lines (?) than need a bit of cleaning up.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

@wkubacki Good eye. I'll have to fix that

• Profile Photo

So I got the field applied paint job pretty much done. I used a couple different greens and yellow highly thinned to build it up. Also did some chipping. This is my second time doing this and I definitely need more practice. To me it looks more like worn paint. I'd like to get more of a paint flakes chipping off look in areas. This kit doesn't have much surface detail which also makes it a little harder to make the chipping area look realistic. Anyways thats it for now.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The green looks really good, definitely has that field applied look. I see what you mean by worn, but worn paint complements chipped paint in a well weathered model. What hairspray did you use? I found switching to the preferred Tresemme HS really made a difference on my Zero (when compared to some generic brand I used) when it came to the ease the paint (lacquer) chipped.

• Profile Photo

I used the same hairspray. I think I just need more practice on my technique

• Profile Photo

I like your "chipped" result, my friend @jmillan!
    You might very well practice more and produce even better results, but this one is really nice, too!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Hmmm, well the small chips are perfect at the periphery. You could try to chip some more in the middle of the wing root to expose more metal (or very gently sand it if the HS has already been activated). It could also be that Tamiya acrylics chip easier, so a lighter coat of HS and a lighter touch is required? No idea

• Profile Photo

Slowly making progress on the Hamp. Tried to improve the chipping on the wing root using a toothpick... I think it looks a lil better. Got the tail number and yellow bands panted also the cowling is painted and chipped. Started on the weathering today with oils (hard to see in photos) but I’m liking how it’s coming out so far. More weathering to resume and then on to attaching all the small bits. Maybe have this done in a week or so.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @jmillan!
    Chipping looks improved, for sure!
    Looking forward to this beautiful bird crossing the finish line!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Oh yeah, looks really good now with the chipping and the underside oils. You've really got a good build pace, so good that you better start planning your next one.

• Profile Photo

So I got the canopy painted up last night and I'm not sure I'm liking the two tones of color. I think I should of kept it one color maybe... all green or amber-grey? Also I should of painted it attached to the fuselage to match the overall camo. I might mask up another spare canopy I have and paint it one color. What do you guys think? Also I think it needs some chipping along the edges to match the rest of the plane.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

If this was my model, I would lightly spray a little paint over some of the chipping you have on it now. Use a combination of the Amber Gray and the Green for the colors. I would do the painting mainly on the fuselage, and leave the wings and wing roots as they are. Then I would add some chipping on the leading edges of the wings. I would also take a toothpick and add some scratches on the ammunition covers and some of the access panels on the top side of the wing.
    As far as the colors go, I think it looks as it should. You have this part looking great, to my eyes anyhow.

If you look at this picture, you can see how they didn't add Green around the canopy frames. Instead they left them in the original color. Likely they didn't have the time or the resources to mask the canopy.

But in the end, it's your plane... so paint it how you like. I have around 5 different Zero kits started on the table right now. One will be completed like the one in the picture I just posted.