1/48 Tamiya A6M5 Model 52 Hei

Started by Woody Kubacki · 5 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 2 months ago:

And on to the next! I built the model 52 around the same time as the 32. I like the fact that the instructions for these older kits include detailing suggestions, something that is lacking with modern kits. I decided to try the hairspray chipping technique this time and the results weren't too bad for my first time. What I know now is to start chipping very soon after the lacquer top coat is sprayed on, otherwise chipping the paint becomes a real pain.

AK RC305 D2 was sprayed on the upper sides and AK RC 303 J3 SP on the lowers with AK RC302 J# on the control surfaces. The no walk lines were again painted with Tamiya XF-7, the cowl with C125 , the propeller with C131, IFF stripes with yellow.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next came the decals, and I had a bit of a misshap with the wing hinomaru, which definitely caused some swearing but looking back I'm glad it happened. I sanded the decals off and repainted the green and decided to paint the markings on. I also added a darker green ring around the hinomaru as I think they were missing from the kit decals/markings. I used a cheap $3 circle cutter from Michaels and Tamiya tape and XF-7. The hardest part was keeping the circles concentric.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A bit of weathering and some pastels to give it a dusty look and I was done. This kit gave me no issues with fit and really helped me attempt new techniques (chipping, painting markings).

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Beautiful Model 52, Woody @wkubacki!
    Amazing how the camera distorts the wheels angles at the second to last pic.

• Profile Photo

I think perhaps I may not have glued them on straight, haha.