1/48 Tamiya Mitsubishi Type 11 G4M1

Started by Bryan W. Bernart · 34 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Betty, Empire of Japan, G4M1, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 4 years ago:

Started this on Monday evening.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

What a choice, Bryan! I've built it. It's fantastic! Had put the crew members in, to add some life. Do you plan to put yours too, or not?
    Nice construction, detail painting and canopy masking!
    Cannot wait to see your progress!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Ha! The figures may be necessary as well as a trip to the parts box for additional interior bits. Otherwise plain as mud and empty.

• Profile Photo

Totally agreed! That's why I used the figures too!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

Good start on this Bryant, you will find this a well engineered kit and Tamiya's approach in getting this together. I just finished one about a year ago. The only nitpick I have is the interior lacking a lot of details. As there is a lot of glass in the nose and flight deck. Otherwise you will enjoy the build. Looking forward to the rest of the WIP as you progress.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

This is a great start and a fantastic project choice. I have two of them currently underway but construction has stopped for lack of room at the time being. I never realized just how big these planes were, until I started building mine. Chuck V. did an excellent work in progress build when he constructed his. I have been using it as a backup guide to the instructions.

I am anxiously looking forward to seeing your next installment... It really looks great now !

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 4 years ago:

Great choice! I have one in the stash, so I'll be following your build!

• Profile Photo

This bunch of dudes owe their existence to Spiros Pendedakis. I had to do radical surgery on both pilots, the tail gunner and the dorsal position "standee" to fit them in after the interior was finalized-if you want to use figures, install before the control columns go in. The two standing figures are refugees from the figures box.

Once positioned, I gave the interior and it's occupants a nice wash of mostly Tamiya NATO black.

The fuselage and wings went together nearly putty free, which was welcomed by yours truly.

Almost ready for paint, but a question has been rattling around in my mind for a while.

Did the crappy paint system used by the Japanese begin to fade before it chipped, or did it begin to blow off immediately and fade concurrently?

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is a great build and I have been enjoying reading about it.

What is often misunderstood is the Japanese paint was actually quite good. It held up well when it was properly applied with a good primer as a base. The main reason why we often see photos of these planes with the paint chipped so badly is actually quite simple.

The paint was field applied on the planes that were so badly chipped. These planes often were painted without the luxury of using a primer paint. The primer acted as a bonding agent and helped to keep the paint intact.

Another thing that caused the paint to chip off was improper cleaning of the surface. Most of the Japanese aircraft were powered by radial engines. Radial engines leak oil and that’s just the nature of the beast. This oil managed to get blown over most of the airframe when prop wash hits it.

If the aircraft’s surfaces were not properly cleaned and primed, the paint would then chip. Plus you have to consider that it takes time for a good quality paint job to be done correctly. Time that the ground crews didn’t have too much in excess I’m sure. These plane’s paint jobs were often hurried and done under the pressure of just getting it done.

The aircraft you often see so badly chipped were most likely delivered in a bare metal finish, and painted in a hurry while in the field. The factory painted planes looked much better.

Please keep up with the great work.

• Profile Photo

Looking very sharp, Bryan @plasticslave! The Japanese crew looks extremely natural and will defintely fill the visible crew compartment and liven up your Betty. Regarding the color chipping, I totally agree with Louis. I believe you have to research the exact plane you are modeling and the time frame as well. I would philosophize (!) now and say that a field applied paint without proper surface cleaning and no primer would start to chip in acouple of weeks, showing especially worn after some months or so, especially if the plane operated in harsh and salty conditions.

Excellent progress, cannot wait to see more, my friend!

• Profile Photo

That's why I mentioned the word "system", as it applies to primers, etching fluids and topcoat. 90% of any paint job is in the preparation-the other 10 per cent, at least for the Japanese, was environmental. Do you think they got any bugs in the fresh stuff?

• Profile Photo

Summer of 1942, Rabaul.

• Profile Photo

Oh yes, I'm sure there were some bugs permanently attached to the airframes ! Some of them probably had malaria too... I have a picture stored somewhere of a Ki-61 Hein "Tony", that has a "field applied" camouflage on top of the shiny bare metal... If you look really, and I mean really close, you can see that there are a few runs and sags in the paint too. I don't think they cared at the time. It's not like they were headed out to the Saturday night cruise to show off their hot rod to the crowds. If I can find the photo, I'll post it up for you here. I think you will get a little chuckle out of it. I did... and I have painted numerous cars in real life.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 3 years, 2 months ago:

It's been nine months and the G4M1 has long been complete, so here's a brief follow up.
    I made paper masks, used pieces of open cell packing foam to over enthusiastically "chip the paint", painted all insignia with the exception of the tail number.
    I need to take a few more photos, but that's all for now.
    This is a great kit and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Paint work looks great