1/72 Special Hobby Tachikawa Ki-54 Hei

Started by George R Blair Jr · 51 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Ki-54 Hei, Special Hobby, Tachikawa
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I had a little more free time, and got the various sub-assemblies painted, weathered, and ready to start gluing. I applied the instrument panel decal. This was my first look at the decals and they seem very nice except there is a bunch of clear carrier film to deal with. I trimmed the instrument panel to get rid of the extra clear, but the rest of the decals may be a problem. The seat belts are very thin and surrounded by a significant amount of clear. I am trying to decide if I want to try to trim the clear or raid the spares for some seat belts. The kit provides decals just for the pilot's lap belts, no shoulder harnesses or belts for the passengers. I know that some planes didn't have shoulder harnesses, so I need to do some research to see if I can find out if they used shoulder harnesses or not. I will probably add some belts for the passengers.

Here are some pics:

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Indeed the seats at the front spar looks very uncomfortable. I would have thought they would have located them on the mainspar, but it is clear from the instructions they were not - perhaps a hiccup from SpecialHobby? Anyway, it looks very nice - keep pushin!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @gblair!
    Great job at the interior with the typical comment that, sadly, not a lot will be seen (but us followers will know 🙂 ).
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum). I don't think much will be visible, but I figure I will leave the fuselage door open, so people with better eyesight than mine can see inside. The two spars in the passenger cabin actually have pins that fit into holes, so they are where they should be. There are also small slots for the seat legs, so those are fixed also. I toyed a little to see if I could move the seats around a little, but the cabin doesn't allow any space for alternate locations. It is possible that the small size of the cabin dictated where the seats were. Maybe you could put your tray table there for the inflight meal? :o)

• Profile Photo

I made sure all of the sub-assemblies were ready and then started adding them to the fuselage. Still a lot of test-fitting and adjusting going on, but everything seems to fit together. Added some Tamiya tape seatbelts to the cockpit and painted some seatbelts on the passenger seats. I decided not to add any shoulder harnesses to the pilot seats.

Took some time off to visit our long-awaited new house which has been under construction since last November. Manpower and supply shortages due to Covid have really slowed things down, but it looks like we are in the last stretch.

Everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Looking great progressing, @gblair! Nice to hear that fit is good: SH kits have come a long way!
    Your hobby room lokks like a dream place, really looking forward to see you there hobbying, my good friend!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). This Special Hobby kit really has been nice, although it still needs a lot of fit-checking. I wouldn't build them for a long time because they had vacuform canopies. Looking forward to my hobby room, which is actually a room added in the attic. We combined two rooms downstairs into one giant room for my wife's hobbies, and I get the one upstairs for my models and trains. It is nice to be able to make changes to the floorplan before the building starts.

• Profile Photo

I had a doctor's appointment today, but managed to get some stuff done. The fuselage is together and seems to be in pretty good shape. I assembled the wings yesterday, but test-fitted them to the fuselage today. The fuselage was too wide to fit the wing joint and would need a lot of work. The forward part of the join was not too bad, but the aft end, at the fillets, was probably at least a 1/16 of an inch too wide. After a great deal of fitting and sanding I managed to get a good fit. I plan to keep the wings free of the fuselage until I fit and clean up the engine pods and landing gear on the wings. They will be a lot easier to clean if the fuselage isn't blocking the sanding.

I assembled the landing gear, along with some really thin parts. I managed to launch two of the very small pieces into carpet-land, and then I broke two of the small pieces while trying to clean the molding seams. In the end, everything is assembled and the glue is drying, so it was a successful day, after all.

Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great, solid progress, my friend @gblair. The wing/fuselage joint came as a reminder that it still is a limited run kit that might require to go at times those extra miles.
    Looking forward to this great build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I knew things were going too well. Not much left to do before it will be time to paint.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

George, @gblair
    I have not been logged on here for a little over a week. Today I happened to notice that you have started this build. It is already off to a great start ! I think I have a picture of the plane that was stationed at Kimpo airfield in Korea during WW2. Going from memory, it was a two color green with a gray underside. One of the greens was your typical "Mitsubishi" green with a bluish tint and the other color came very close to Olive Drab... of course the picture "could" have been colorized too... but I thought it looked cool. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

The plane they pulled from a lake in Japan was like a time capsule... all of the original colors were mostly still intact.

Good luck with your house construction. It looks like they are making some good progress on your hobby room. That is going to be one fantastic "man cave / hobby room" when it is finished !

Stay safe.

Update... aha I found the picture !

Hope this helps. It was listed on "Wiki".

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I haven't seen this photo, lots of good info. You know, if they were using paints they had on-hand, then perhaps it is the standard light green/gray with the dark green camo painted using the same color as the fighters?

Things are finally moving on the house. I had no idea that it would take a year to build, but we are getting close. Stay safe, Louis.

• Profile Photo

I got some stuff done today.

The wings have a small fillet on each side of the engine that closes a small hole next to the wing. It basically acts as a filler between the forward part of the engine pod and the wing. Unfortunately, these pieces didn't fit and required a lot of cutting and shaping, followed by filler and sanding. Finally they are all smooth and sanded, but some panel lines disappeared. I have never had much luck using the usual tools to replace the panel lines. I always end up skating across the plastic, which results in more filling and sanding. I came across some photoetch blades from Tamiya that are basically miniature saws that cut panel lines. Gave it a try and I like it, so far. Seems more controllable.

Test fitted the canopy and it needed a lot of fettling to make it fit. Once it was ready, I gave it a dip in Future. Once dry, I gave the edges some treatment with a black marker, and then glued it in place.

With that done, I hit the fuselage and canopy with filler, smoothing everything with various grades of sandpaper, When that was done, I attached the wings and horizontal stabilizers. Things look pretty good, and now it is just a matter of waiting for things to dry.

Done for now. It may be a few days before I can get anything new done. I have been having trouble with one of my hands, and the orthopedic doctor gave me a couple of injections in the joints in my thumb with something that is supposed to keep my thumb from locking up. So, I figure it will be a couple of days before my hand is useful for building again. Everyone stay safe. :o)

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really super after all this solid progress, my friend @gblair! Tamiya scriber looks to suit your style. The canopy became crystal clear indeed, after being dipped in Future...of course I love your hitech cover, I use a similar device from locally made sheep's yogurt 🙂

Love your "improvised" jigs, I do the same, using whatever is reachable by the time I join things and anxiously look around to find suitable jigging "device" before glue starts to set...

Wishing you quick recovery, my good friend: those injections do miracles.

Looking forward to your Tachikawa progress, after a few days!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It seems I always glue something and then reallize I need something to brace it up.