68th Sentai Hien

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 58 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Several months ago I made the Aichi Seiran for this GB, and after some consideration I decided to go with a second entry for it.
    This time I chose what is to me the most aesthetically pleasing fighter of the Japanese Army, the Ki-61 Hien, with the ally code name “Tony”.
    I had made the Otaki kit way long ago, so when I spotted in a garage sale hosted in one of my local hobby shop the first box of Hasegawa kit for a 13 euro bargain I didn’t hesitate and purchased it.

The kit came without sprue trees (all parts cut not not trimmed), no box, all inside the plastic you see in the photo.
    Since the decals looks a bit old, and the white paint is that cream ivory that Hasegawa used back in the nineties, I purchased both new decals and a mask set.

The decals arrived yesterday and are the usual Lifelike high standard quality of the brand. Well researched, thin film and great colors .
    Featuring 6 Hien and 2 Nates it offers great value for money IMO.

The mask set, from Montex

offers 2 machines, one from the 244 Sentai (the same squadron featured in Lifelike decals), and one that really captured my imagination, the 68th Sentai Hien that sports a meandering green camouflage over the NMF. This will be the one to built.
    I expect to have the kit made in the next 2 months, so some regular updates will be posted. Thanks for watching!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great choice Pedro (@holzhamer). I will be strapped in to follow this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik @airbum
    Feel free to to contribute If you think so

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer

This is a most welcome addition ! I too have a Hasegawa Ki-61 started, but mine is the larger 1/32 scale kit. In fact, I just purchased another 1/32 Hien because they go together very well and very fast. On this second kit, I want to build it up as a machine from the 68th Sentai as well. I have a Kagero book on the 68th Sentai that I purchased on EBay, thinking it would have decals in it. When it arrived, it was missing the decals... oh well. Things happen. Look in your mail box, I'll send you a PM. Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow, Pedro @holzhamer, what a striking scheme choice of a great subject!
    The Hasegawa kit has excellent reputation and your skills will transform it into a masterpiece!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - Louis, I’ll be checking your bigger Hien build regularly. That’s too bad about the missing decals...any chance of getting them for the publisher?

@fiveten - Thanks for encouraging words Spiros! The scheme of that machine is indeed both awesome to see and challenging to replicate. I’ll do my best but with reasonable expectations. It will be a good canvas to try my latest airbrush, which I bought early this year and still has not faced a single mottling or stripes 😉

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Good idea ! That thought never entered my mind... I have been thinking about trying to spray the markings on too. Sprayed markings look better than decals do usually. I just sent you the PM.

• Profile Photo

I started making some small progress along the interiors of the “Hien”.
    For a nearly 30 years old kit it’s a good one. There are one or two areas that need some reshape, like the pilots seat - it is just too thick, remindes me of a 1/48 kitchen sink- and the propeller spinner, oddly it’s larger than the backplate so It needs some sanding too. Both items are visible on this pic

The sidewalls were glued to each fuselage side and I made a mix of brown and some light wood color to get this hue, which I have no idea if it’s accurate or not, but it looks good to me

Will add some cables to that cockpit, which again, is not bad from the box.
    I am considering riveting the darn thing, but still not decided, and I ordered some quick boost goodies for parts that I feel are much better than the plastic ones and will improve the whole look of the final model, like the MGs and the exhaust stacks.
    Let’s see how it goes from here, but so far it really feels like a trouble free build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking really nice, Pedro @holzhamer!
    Hard to believe this kit is 30yo!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking forward to it! The Tony and the Jack are my two favorite Japanese fighters (recently finished a Tony). I like the scheme you selected - that should be a nice challenge, and something different.

• Profile Photo

Thanks fellas!
    Greg, your 1/72 Tony is a gem. Do you recall what blue paint did you used there?

• Profile Photo

Pedro,
    Your Hasegawa Ki-61 model will be a fun build for you. I have made several of these in the past, and even though it is around 30 years old, it is still a very respectable kit. In fact, to my knowledge, Hasegawa still makes the best "short nosed" version of the Hien. The new tool 1/48 scale Tamiya Ki-61 is a "long nose" version, which entered into service later than the short nose plane did. Because of this there should be more decals available for the short nosed kit...because it saw more wide spread use. So it pays to check your references. Don't tell anyone, but I have one or two Hien's in my display case that are decaled incorrectly, with a long nose version wearing short nosed decals... Hey things happen. 🙂

As far as the cockpit color is concerned, as long as you are happy with it, that is all that matters. I think you are on the right track with what you have done.

I just picked up a new tool Tamiya 1/48 scale Hien, so look for it to show up soon. I'll build it along with the twin pair of 1/32 scale Hasegawa kits. Keep up the good work, and I like what I see here.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Projeto muito interessante Pedro.A acompanhar!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Did a bit of work this weekend, after 3 weeks away from this project.

It’s a small advance but crucial for the overall shape of the complete model- wings to fuselage joint.

So I did a quick dry run getting both fuselage halves together and then add the wings, found that to get a perfect joint I needed to add some support along the inside of wing, raising it a bit.

Also considerably thined the seat pan, now looking much more in scale

some Mr Surfacer 500 was needed to hide the blemish caused by the blade action. A bit of cloth embedded in alcohol will remove the putty excess

The drop tanks are also sanded, some plumbing will probably be needed, but that’s for later. Although Hasegawa call for yellow as their color, it seems these tanks were painted anything but yellow.

The engine air intake is a bit simplified to my taste. I’ll cut off that blank plastic and replace it for some thin plastic stripes and also will thin the inside walls to a more in scale appearance.

Here you can see how good the resin exhaust stacks match the kit part. I estimate very little work to fit them seamlessly after painting the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Pedro,
    It is good to see you have made some more progress on your Ki-61 build. The mods you did to the cockpit seat are something I will keep in mind for the next Hasegawa Hien that hit's the work bench.

Good call on the drop tank colors. From what I have read at Aviation of Japan, these were occasionally yellow ... 😉 But that was Nick's last choice if I read his article correctly.

I'll see if I can dig up the link and post it here for you...