Aichi B7A2 Ryusei Kai (Grace) 1/72 Fujimi

Started by George Schembri · 22 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Aichi, B7A2, Empire of Japan, Fujimi, Grace
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 9 months ago:

The 1/72 Fujimi kit C34 – B7A2 Grace is the next kit for The Empire of Japan GB. I can't remember the first time I read about the Grace but I do remember liking it's inverted gull wings which reminded me of the Corsair, with its main landing gear mounted at the elbow in order to keep them short as possible.

Reading up on the B7A, it was to be powered by a newly developed Nakajima Homare 11 twin-row radial engine with 1800hp.The initial prototype flew in Mid-1942 but teething problems with the engine and problems with the airframe resulted in a delay of almost two years before it was ordered into production as the B7A2. When finally produced, 9 prototype B7A1 units and 80 B7A2 units were produced by the Aichi Factory before the serious earthquake of May 1945 destroyed the factory. An additional 25 units were produced in Omura. By the time the aircraft entered service, Japan did not have any carriers large enough to operate the B7A2 so it saw limited use from land bases.

This is the Fujimi Kit C-34 and comes with an eternal torpedo. Same line of kit from the 1/72 Judy kit I completed earlier. Pretty much a straight-forward build, no surprises expected. Not too much in detail for the cockpit – basic seats, stick and instrument panel and a rear machine gun. Looks the rear seat is facing the wrong direction – just as in the Judy kit. I bit off flash but nothing too bad, and descent decals for a 1/72 kit.

The kit instructions actual gives a brief history on the Ki-43 Oscar – nice but probably unintended.

Started off spraying some home blended Otake acrylic using 30% Clear Green (Model Master 4668) + 30% Clear Blue(Model Master 4658) + 40% Silver Chrome (Tamiya X-11). Mixed it in some small paint cups I found at the $1 Store (8=$1) and the lid gives an excellent seal and preserves the paint mix. I am getting pretty comfortable using my NEO internal mix airbrush. I was intimidated at first, worried about what seemed like a complicated cleanup compare to my external mix airbrushes.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice choice! I love the lines of this plane.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

This is such a great choice George @georgeswork!
    I cannot but totally agree with Mike @mlicari: this plane is a beauty!
    Nice progress so far!

• Profile Photo

Things are moving along. The cockpit went from my original Aotake interior to IJN Interior Green then back to a 'greener' Aotake once I found an archived photo of an actual B7A2 cockpit - Fujimi instructed correctly but 1/48 Hasegawa instructions showed a different colour mix. Not much to see in the cockpit, but there are the basics with side panels if someone wanted to go to the next level.

Flash seems to be everywhere on this kit, also all detail is delicate raised panel lines. Completely different experience from the Judy C-16 kit.

Found some decent reference photos at:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/walk/walkarou.htm

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, this is coming along nicely, George @georgeswork!
    A great little model!
    Nice interior too!

• Profile Photo

After a busy week of assembling a couple of gazebos I was able to get back to the B7A2.

Still more flash with this kit, seems like just about every part had the slightest amount of flash on the edges which was easily fixed with a fine emery board. Also it felt like just about every seam needed a little bit of filler. All panel lines are raised so I'll try to keep sanding to a minimum.

Care was required when attaching the wings and stabilizers as the fits very a little loose, pieces had to be held square until the glue was set.

Prepping for paint, first step was to do a scaled up photocopy of the paint scheme to get a model size image to trace demarcation.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a nice progress, George!
    I can understand what you mean by tiny flash to all parts: you have to smoothsand everything.
    Looks great already - and I love the aotake cockpit!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, keeping the cockpit simple on this build. The colour is close but could be a bit greener.
    JN Green XF-11 applied, wait for drying overnight before applying masking.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

This one is going together very fast... You already have it painted, while I am still cutting parts off the plastic trees ! Your work is looking great...

• Profile Photo

What a green! I love this green, @georgeswork!

This build is fast and smooth, a little masterpiece emerging gradually.

Love also this aotake pic above: it's so nice to justify the aotake cockpit colour, as, quite often in my WWII Japanese plane builds, my hopes for aotake were not materialising; interior green (stil good, but not aotake!) had to be used, as per "research".

Waiting for this little jewel to advance (some decals maybe?).

• Profile Photo

After a little masking - Tamiya XF-12 J.N. Grey
    Should have did a more complete masking over the wings , I need to correct some slight over spray.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great @georgeswork!
    Really nice fuselage demarcation lines.
    I guess decals have to wait for just a bit, to correct the slight overspray.
    Having learned some hard overspray lessons, I usually mask everything.
    3M masking tape customer of the month is a usual nomination I earn, especially when I tackle big kits, needing acres of masking tape!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, a little work when possible, kinda hard staying inside with the sun & the pool. - oh the struggle.

Over-spray corrected, really liking the Neo Internal mix airbrush.

A little more progress, FFP applied as were the landing gear and wheel covers. Initial decals looking good but got a lot of silvering on the rudder Sqd Numbers.

I guess I did not apply enough clear Gloss, will be poking holes and applying Micro Sol , hopefully it will all clear up.

Quickly sprayed the torpedo with Tamiya acrylics. I might add the additional tail fins to the torpedo as displayed in the Tamiya 1/48 instructions.

The canopy is also coming along.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, George @georgeswork.
    I think you'll be OK with silvering after Microsol application.
    Your Ryusei looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

It has been a little while since I have checked in "officially" but I have been watching for your progress on a daily basis. In the past I have used the tip of a small wooden toothpick to lightly scrape away any excess paint that may have managed to get outside the framework lines. Sometimes you can get lucky, and with a little bit of work, you can get away with it.

This is looking very good !