Aichi B7A2 Ryusei Kai (Grace) 1/72 Fujimi

Started by George Schembri · 22 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Aichi, B7A2, Empire of Japan, Fujimi, Grace
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Gents!
    Things are moving along - almost done.
    Silvering on the rudder is practically all gone
    All decals done, Canopy will be done soon - a little touch up needed.
    Looking at things - now I wish I spent more time on the cockpit - oh well - next build - live and learn
    Satin coating probably tomorrow

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks splendid already, George.
    Cockpit looks good too.

• Profile Photo

Since my Paasche is out for the count, I figured I should stay with a clear acrylic final coating when using my Neo airbrush. So I decided to try out a mixture of slightly thinned Future and Tamiya Flat base as a Satin finish as suggested by Gord Zammit in another subject post.
    But before I sprayed the Grace, I chose a willing volunteer to check out the new mixture - my OLD Airfix Saab Draken - and it looks like things will proceed with the new mixture.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great satin indeed, George!

• Profile Photo

Well, this is where I pull the plug on the B7A2.
    Satin coat applied, Final bits and canopy applied and all ready to go.
    I did attempt to add the radio wires with stretched sprues but after 1hr of trying I gave up in fear that I would blob on too much glue or that it wouldn't look straight.
    I am happy with the build, learned a few things and will be ready for the next build.
    Thanks for following the progress, probably be posting in Headlines in the next day or so.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Who would have guessed that an F-35 would pop up in the EoJ GB 🙂
    Always good to test new methods, and the result on the Kai looks great. Thank you for sharing George.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for tuning in guys!

You are right Erik @airbum, I highly doubt the IJN had a Draken; although, if they did things may have turned out quite differently back in '45.

Confidence is coming back with each build.

And thanks to Louis Gardner @lgardner for starting the GB and the invite to EofJ as the last two build would have stayed in my collection for a while before I got to it – thanks for the motivation.