Aichi D3A1 "Val" Midway Island, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 92 · 3 years ago · 1/48, D3A1, Hasegawa, Val
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my second entry at this exciting and addicting Empire of Japan (EoJ) GB!

The Val, a dive bomber, was an astonishing machine at the early phases (and even later) of the war. Superb aerodynamically, behaving more like a fighter than a bomber; speed and maneuverability were top class. Could be more of a match to an unaware fighter. Bombing accuracy was something the Val was renowned for.

I bought this kit during the Golden Ages of my shelf of doom creation and augmentation, which was about 15 years ago. It looks typical amazing Hasegawa, very promising in the box, totally sufficient for a less than average OOB builder, like yours trully. I will do the AI-251 plane, which was on board carrier Akagi, during the Midway conflict.

I had the usual expert (my 2.5 yo beloved younger son Nikos) examining the kit. He gave me two thumbs up and the order to proceed immediately! Please check the photos!

Thanks for all your supportive and constuctive comments during my first build! Now, let me execute my son's orders and proceed immediately!

Keep up, great builders of the EoJ GB!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

I'm beginning to think you just don't like to do landing gear.
    What's the yout building? give him an old Tamiya Zero and some glue.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Fantastic choice Spiros @fiveten

I have one of these kits with the wing fold option... and lately it's been very tempting. Looks like you have it under control, and your little co pilot will keep things going for you. It's very cool to get your children involved in the hobby. You are setting a great example here.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Good Choice. This was the second kit I did when I got back into modelling.

• Profile Photo

@billkoppos I am ashamed to say I still try to locate my Saburo Sakai's Zero in my SoD...
    I used not to be extremely fond of spats in the past...I am almost to be nominated "member of the month" at the "Spatted Beauties Lovers Worldwide" group.
    I keep searching though...

• Profile Photo

@lgardner and @blackadder57 : thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

When you least expect it you will find your Saburo Sakai A6M... When it is meant to be it will happen...
    What is it with the wheel spats lately ? Maybe there's something in our water, for recently I too have been afflicted... and thinking about building another D3-A Val, a Ju-87 Stuka, a Henschel HS-123, and a Gee Bee racer ! LOL

• Profile Photo

I have to admit i have a soft spot for spatted japanese aircraft @lgardner, maybe because most of them used to have beautiful flight characteristics and good performances - loved by their crews..

At the years just before the outbreak of WWII, the average performance of the planes was such that a well designed spatted aircraft would in practice not fall that much behind a retractable gear one. So, at the early stages of the war, there was some room for well designed spatted aircraft. And though I would digress even thinking of the word "spat" I have to say that I adore these designs. With this EoJ GB, admiration became an addiction. You gotta love the Val!

...the GeeBee? What is not to adore too?

All the best, EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

Good model to work with Spiros, much more in detail in the cockpit. What Hasegawa provides in the kit is miles over the Fujimi. You may have a much better hand in detailing with the brushes and pencils, which I love to do myself. But just don't have that ability to do any more. Eyesight is still 20/20 but can't seem to maintain that steady hand. So been using the zoom sets for awhile now. I love the kid shots too, very nice moments with the kids. That's how I got started with dad myself. Of course we didn't have much else to distract us back then unless you collected baseball, football cards or was out playing little league sports.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

Was looking at my ICM HS129 last night. Spants and parasols? Spit, spat, sput?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Brilliant Spiros. Straight back in the game. Carry on at this rate and you’ll have built the entire Japanese airforce by the end of the group build! Love it!

• Profile Photo

Started the Val tonight! The cockpit is really good, as Chuck @uscusn pointed out (see pic below) with a lot of detail molded and many bits and pieces to be glued at. Really lovely and busy looking. To be honest, I browsed a bit at the net and found some pics and schematics of the Val cockpit...Well it is REALLY busy and a super detailer could do millions of things in there. However, the Hasegawa offering is absolutely acceptable, looking the part. About the internal colour, after some surfing too, I decided to go for the proposed as per instructions greenyellow "interior green". Humbrol 226 seems a good match (please see the pic below) -Any suggestions are, as always, mostly welcome here...

Glued the spats and wheels (nicely bulged), assembled the three piece cowling (take your time here to have it reasonably aligned as not to lose a lot of detail sanding it), the propeller (good details) and glued the crankcase to the one piece engine. The front part of the engine looks great, but the back cylinder row is very shallow (you get only their faces, ending at an ungainly backplate that you should paint flat black so as to not see...I don't know how much this "simplification" will show, but the detail of the rest of the kit is such that Hasegawa could offer a complete "proper"engine.

I'm glad you like my younger son's pics, Chuck. He shows a lot of interest to our hobby and I think - and hope! - he'll become a modeler too! The idea of assembling a snap fit HobbyBoss WWII single engine fighter swivels in my mind...Thanks for the kind words, @uscusn!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@billkoppos: Two builds, both of them spatted? bit wild, I know, my friend... How about a Spit in spats? A whatiffer captured in Japanese markings?

• Profile Photo

Thanks @yellow10!

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone!
    Cockpit painted interior green and starting picking up its details. Painted steel: wheel rims, propeller, ammo magazines, throttle lever, foot pedals, stick, outward bomb pylons, central bomb restrain system, engine crankcase etc. Inner cowling painted interior green as well. Exhausts drilled to look more realistic (please compare from the pic below).
    I have to say that this kit is of very high quality. It's a joy building my Hase Val!
    Let's keep up, magnificent EoJ GB!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.