Aichi E13A1b ”JAKE” (零式水上偵察機), Nichimo, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 191 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi, E13A, Nichimo
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Some pastels, some oils, some chipping, some touchups and small works here and there...

She is an operational Jake! Not in exactly pristine condition!

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 9 months ago:

looks great! This is one of those jap planes that could use a new mould sometime soon. Looking forward to see it completed Spiros. I like the dolly also

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Getting ready and preparing for the final approach! Great wood addition to the dolly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @holzhamer and @georgeswork!
    Approaching the finish line, but still some way to go!

• Profile Photo

There's a heavy duty wire rigging cross-connecting the outer struts. This was done with stretched sprue, painted gun metal (it was funny to drill the holes and fit the wires at those awkward points...).:

Various touchups and minor repairs/fixations are going on

Jobs left:

• fitting the three radar antennas, the prop, the stowed gun, the two small tubes (pitot-ish?) at the mid front struts and anything else forgotten!

• satin towards matt uneven coating

• fitting the canopy

-run an aerial wire to the fin-

-...I think that's about it, hoping not to clock over 200 posts...(oh dear...)

• Profile Photo

Fitted those small tubes at the front struts (made of stretched sprue, painted gunmetal).

Fitted carefully the three radar antennas, which were flimsy (painted steel) and the pitot.

The rear gun was fitted in "stowed" position

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great work on the rigging for the struts and on the antenna array, Spiros. The cockpit also looks really impressive at this stage. Everything kind of comes alive in the last stages after major painting is done. Looking forward to seeing this beauty cross the finish line.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    This is getting very close to being done, and it sure looks great ! As far as the small tube you were asking about, that is located on the starboard side pontoon strut, I believe it is a small step for the crew to climb up on the wing. There very well could be one on the other side too...

Your radar array is looking top notch as well. I have seen pictures of this setup used on a B5N Kate before, and a few other Japanese planes as well. It has been a little while since I have looked inside the box of my kit. Were these parts included or did you scratch build them ?

Either way they look very authentic. Who knows ? You just might top 200 comments.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin @coling!
    I think my Jake starts to flirt with the finish line...

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis @lgardner.

Thanks for the info about the small "tubes" (yes, there's one on the other side, too, myself being lazy, not only take another pic, but also not to mention it!): step for the crew makes perfect sense! At the box artwork they are depicted like smallish strong protrusions, not really resembling pitots. Great! Mystery solved!

The radar abtennas were included in the kit, needing just some careful cleanup, as they are very delicate.

...200 comments is the positive scenario...

...200 build thread postings is the converging reality...(lol)

Thanks again, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Finished matt (with a satin hue) coating, still drying:

I try to spray it unevenly, to add to the weathering look

All the best, great EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten) my friend - this is looking great! - As has been mentioned the pegs would most likely be "steps" to get to the cockpit from a boat.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Approaching the finish line slowly...

• Profile Photo

Took some cockpit pics before fitting the one piece canopy (with the gunner's part separate) :

After attaching the propeller (yes, it rotates), I then proceeded to install the canopy:

[pic5)

Fit left a lot to be desired, so I went on a trimming trial and error process.

The huge gaps left were treated with white glue (seen curing at the pic).

The canopy was treated with a coat of Future and, despite the inevitable "I-flow-loose-in-the-box" scratches, is quite clear and, to my delight, a lot of the cockpit can be seen.

After the white glue cures, touchups, fitting the aerial wire, painting its mast the upper colour, so we can cross the finish line.

All the best!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros my friend, @fiveten
    Wow ! These last pictures show how all of your hard work is taking shape... and that is very well indeed !

The scratch built cockpit is amazing, and when the time comes and I decide to drag mine out of the stash, I will definitely be using your build journal as well as the one that Paul Barber did as part of our Midway Group Build. You guys both have done a stellar job with your planes.

It's hard to believe this is the same kit you started out with... and your very last photo shows just how big the wing was on this nimble little seaplane.

Well done my friend, you are about to cross the finish line and capture the checkered flag.