Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 148 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aichi, airbum, Atsua, catapult, conversion, db 601, Empire of Japan, EofJ, EoJ, floatplane, Haldværk, M6A, quarterscale, submarine, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan conversion of a Tamiya 1/48 Seiran

I have a weak spot for Bf 109’s, so how come this one?

Well, the Aichi A6M1 Seiran was a submarine based bomber and equipped with an Aichi AE1P Atsua 30 engine, that was a license-built version of the Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine. The Seiran came in two forms, one with floats that could be jettisoned in-flight, and one without floats (or any undercarriage for that matter). Both could be sent off from a catapult on the submarine. That is a very interesting and long story, so go check it online!

(For those who want something different the six planes that were en-route in submarines to bomb the US-base on the Ulithi Atoll were actually disguised as American planes according to an online search)
    Now, to train the pilots, two land-based versions with retractable undercarriage were build. Tamiya made this version in 1/72, but I want one in 1/48. I found a resin-set online to convert one.

and with this teaser, I shall give it a rest until I get some more parts sourced as I am not entirely happy with the conversion-set

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Magnificent choice my friend. I will definitely be watching this one for updates.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

OF COURSE the Seiran would be equipped with a license-built version of the Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine, otherwise, the odds to see it built by you would not be that optimistic, my friend @airbum!

And, of course, since the 109 float version is a subject of hypothetical evidence (...go figure), may I assume that you chose the wheeled version of the Seiran, for it to look closer to its engine donating relative...?

Joke aside, this is a wonderful choice! The Seiran is one of my beloved planes, the Tamiya kit rocks, your conversion will produce something really special.

Eagerly waiting for your extras to arrive and to sport the quality you expect, in order for this amazing built/conversion to start!

Please sign me in, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

For a change I'm strapped in and will go along for the ride on this Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you for the enthusiasm and kind words gentlemen!

It is, and will be, in the planning stages while I gather the parts. I have an old resin/white metal conversion kit, but have talks with my friend Klavs about making some resin wheels and legs. Strangely there are not that many AM resin legs and wheels for Japanese planes - I will use legs / wheels from a Judy as they are the most likely to have been used in the real plane from the looks of it by the few photos available.

(Should anyone have a pair of spare legs for a Judy in 1/48 I shall be happy to let them have a new life in a Nanzan) 🙂

Please save the popcorn for a few weeks, but I shall get started one day - The plan is for a very different color on this plane. I will be re-visiting all your Seiran builds to check for the major part of this build - thank you all that has already posted Seirans for me to gaze at!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Ah! Now I see what did there Erik, the Daimler engine in the EoJ 🙂
    Well you can certainly use my Seiran build in this GB as a reference, but should you need extra info just PM, I’m always glad to share knowledge and receive it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, you are very observant I will most likely make good use of your kind offer - thanks buddy (@holzhamer).

• Profile Photo

Parts arrived

Some more parts has arrived for this build

And so I can delve a bit further into this off-the-beaten-track plane

Amongst the parts I bought there is – yep you saw it – a 1/72 Nanzan. I was curious how Tamiya tackled making their smaller Seiran into a Nanzan, and have to say they took the easy route. No changes to the interior what so ever!

How about the wings?

Well, they have changed that into something that I can understand – very nice indeed from what I have found on-line so far. I have bought the WSW-modellbau conversion, and the differences between the three can be seen in the picture.

As goes for the conversion, this is what is in the pack

Now, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed, but then again, not dissapointed after all. It is actually a very nice kit once you dive into it. One let-down is the hefty wing, but at least that will be a rather easy one to include as opposed to having to saw things off. (I may have fears that the gear may bend under the load)
    The cockpit – well, I have not been able to find anything on that one, and here you do have something that is a good guess, even though it is “just” kit parts that has been moved around to make the rear look busy, like the floor being brought up, and the IP glued to the divider.

The IP on the divider will be a problem, as it will be way too far from the rear seat. In the Tamiya 1/72 offering there is no changes from the rear-gunner/radio operator position, so at least there is something different.

I may bring out the cutters and start on the build, but would love to find more info specific to the Nanzan. I have amongst other stuff bought a eduard PE kit for the Seiran wich will give me an extra seat and IP along with some superb details for the exterior

Whats in a name?[/i]

I just paid j-aircraft a visit, and fell over an interesting article about the designation system as used by the IJN. The one in question – M6A1 would then be M = Special Floatplane, 6 = 6th of that kind, A = Aichi and 1 = the first special floatplane made by Aichi. There is by then the –K, and that addition is used as the M6A1 in question needed a land-based trainer, the letter K being just that if used as first letter, but when the M6A1 had already been built, the trainer version got the letter assigned after the original combination. Now, this one was also used as a test-plane, but there does not seem to have been a need to use the MX for Special Purpose aircraft – or should this really be a MX6A1? Other people with deeper knowledge to IJN planes, please step forward! For now, I shall call it the M6A1-K

And finally a picture of the real deal from wickicommons.

next up I may just have something build – stay tuned to check

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    I received your PM, and will reply later tonight if possible. Pedro has a very good build thread going on of the type as well. I extend the same offer as he has, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis (@lgardener) - I have been checking a few details, taking a few measurements - the results coming right up in a minute!

• Profile Photo

Headscratching

not quite right

I have been scratching my head a lot this evening. The more I check the few pictures available online, the more I see things are not right with the conversion.

Comparing with the Tamiya 1/72 shows that the WSW undercarriage bay is placed quite a bit too far out on the wing.

If the location of the new panelline on the 1/72 Tamiya, that roughly corresponds to 9mm on the 1/48 wing.
    Now, that is simply too large an error, and so the scratchbuild monster is breathing me heavily in the back. . . .

While I am at the headscratching – does anuone know what the contraption in front of the windscreen is? It was also present on some Seirans, even though not in the Tamiya kit.

I have been searching a bit online, and found that the undercarriage from a judy just might do the trick. Does anyone have a spare set of them, perhaps planning to build a wheels-up version?

now, I really want to get started, so I will be cleaning up a few bits tonight, and see how far I can get before committing to paint and the conversion. A decision on the rear cockpit has to be made too!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, my friend @airbum, I can see you are running into some issues.

First, sorry, I cannot help, since my knowledge on the Seiran is not that much and, indeed, I will take the easy way and build mine OOB.

Second, I am really thrilled by your process of you finding solutions for your issues with the kit: don't get me wrong, of course we do not want issues, but through those modeling issues amazing solutions arise, together with a deeper understanding of our beloved hobby! So, your efforts will not be wasted!

Waiting for your solutions!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik,
    I took a closer look at the B&W picture you posted with the "wheeled" version of the Serian. I think that you are spot on with the statement about the wheel well being located too far outboard on your conversion parts.

If you look at how the inner edge of the aileron, and how the outer wing panel lines are situated in the photo, it looks as if the aftermarket conversion you have has placed the landing gear wells too far outboard. Looking at the drawn in pencil line for the inner alignment looks very good, exactly as you have concluded.

My thoughts are that the smaller 1/72 scale Tamiya kit is more accurate. Could you possibly cut the landing gear well from the resin part and insert it somehow into the plastic of the lower Tamiya wing section ? You could use some plastic sheeting to reinforce the joints. I have used epoxy in the past, and even CA glue would work. That would most likely eliminate the problem you discovered.

Before you commit to doing any cutting on any of your parts, I would seriously think about all of the options before you started. Once you start you can not return... There has to be a rational way of doing this. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. At least you discovered this prior to having assembled and painted your plane. This is when I typically find a problem with one of my builds, after it is too late.

One last question for you... Is the resin wing conversion set a complete wing, with the upper portion of the wing surface molded as one part with the lower surface ? Sort of a "plug and play" conversion ? If so then cutting might not be an option on this part...

By the way, I found this magnificent WW2 color picture online several years ago. It shows the "Trainer Orange" color quite well on a Serian. You can see it under the peeling dark green paint in many places.

This picture was shown on the Coles Aircraft website, and full credit should go there. There are also some very good articles over there at the "Aviation of Japan" website regarding the various colors that were used on these planes. There are also some very good discussions on the Trainer Orange color there too.

You could also look at the magnificent work that our friend Pedro Rocha @holzhamer
    has done when he built his Serian as part of the EoJ group earlier this year. His model is quite possibly the best one I have ever seen built of this type. I'm sure that your build will be very good too...especially after watching how you have built your numerous Bf-109's. 🙂

I don't have any spare landing gear parts, as I build all of my planes as they would be parked on the ground. Sorry...

As far as the odd looking "thing" that's visible ahead of the windscreen... Is it simply an opened latch ? The forward fuselage cover appears to be loose in the picture you posted. If it is a latch, it simply might have been left in the "OPEN" or raised position ? I'm just guessing here...

Hope this somehow helps.

• Profile Photo

Louis (@lgardner), thank you for getting back on these matters. First of all - now I have to consider making a all-orange Seiran too - hopefully someone else has the time to take that one, as I feel just a bit pressed for space right now 🙂

I have been having a look at the various Seiran pictures, and I do not think the pole(?) in front of the windscreen is a hatch, as it is on all the Nanzan pictures I have seen, and on many Seiran pictures too. Perhaps some sort of bomb-sight aid?

As for the landinggear, the resin part is indeed a complete wing, so it will be a lot of work to get it to behave in another position (another issue is that it is very shallow, and I want to adress that too) I think I may have to slaughter a Judy to get the parts - or perhaps find someone that are able to make a resin cast of the well. (actually the Judy is a bit on the shallow side too).

More headscratching will take place!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik @airbum if I may I would suggest that given the apparent poor placement of the landing wells that you build it in flight pose?

And my two cents about the “pole” you mention in that photo, that is part of some interior piece that is open or just a funnel to pour oil/fuel into some tank. I will see if I can trace a good website I used back during my Seiran build, that has a wealth of information regarding IJAF/IJN gunsights and onboard weapons