B5N2 Kate

Started by capt. R · 120 · 2 years ago · B5N2 Kate Hasegawa 1:72
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@gblair I am excited about the new model, but also full of fears and expectations about the final result. It smells exactly like old Airfix when taken out of the box, although the quality of the molds is beyond compare (despite this, the quality of plastic in the production of Japanese companies is better). The last time I dealt with Airfix was 25 years ago, when I vaulted a Mosquito (which turned out to be good for the possibilities at the time, although painted with brushes). I am considering three painting schemes. With a striped tail. Classic Pearl Harbor with a red tail and a version with a green tail. Anyway, I'm aiming for one of three commandor Fushida's planes.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I think you will find the new Airfix kits are very accurate and a pleasure to build, @lis. I have built several of the new releases, and they came out great. I think any of your color choices will look great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The kit contents look great, @lis!

• Profile Photo

@gblair @fiveten I hope the kit will be good fun 🙂 After cockpit assembly I primed with Mr Finish surfacer 1500. I used PE parts, but most of them was originally painted. So I assembly them after cockpit painting. Pilot seat is from kit. I think PE seat don't fit well with pilot's figure so I didn't use it. I decided to change direction of radio operator seat. Radio operator will be sitting back to the rest crew.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Sunday work. Not at all go as I want, and I had accident with broken control stick. It drive me crazy! But I glue it on place. Airfix kit has a strange way of fitting fuselage. I hope I will build it good. My crew had to be fit before I close fuselage because it is impossible to insert the figures through the holes in the fuselage. that's probably why I need to use a closed canopy to shield them while painting. Alternatively, one that has only the rear section of the radio operator/gunner and clog it with a sponge while painting. What do you think about it?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking fantastic so far, @lis!
    Hard to believe it's only 1/72!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I can see why the stick broke - it is rather exposed untill it is inside the fuselage. Your paintwork is absolutely fine. I think the fully closed canopy will be the better option, as you go for vac-form it will be very transparent and clear, so that is what I would go with @lis.

• Profile Photo

@airbum I have squadron canopy. Mabye it will fit in model?
    PS. I like PE radio in cockpit. It looks better than airfix part.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @airbum I just fit crew to cockpit. I used Tamiya clear cement

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I do like the crew, especially Commander Fushida is very well painted!

• Profile Photo

@airbum Thank You! 🙂 It was a feat that the hasegawa set included a figure with his facial features 🙂

PS. Squadron canopy I think don't fit well (It is for Hasegawa model). I will use close canopy from kit.

• Profile Photo

All look great, with Commander Fushida looking very authoritative, my friend @lis!
    Super result!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thank you! Decking under canopy painted C127.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, @lis.
    Nice masking!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    The crew figures look incredible ! Even more so when you realize they are 1/72 scale. Painting figures is something that I am not good at. The rest of the model looks just as good as the crew... well done.