Dragon 1/35 Type 97 Medium Tank-it’ll never fly.

Started by Bill Koppos · 27 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

No, no questions sir!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hilarious Bill nice clip from what I thought was a funny movie, And man does that tank have a lot of pats, Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Small update. Construction is done. I left off the jack to paint separately and not block painting the tools. The 2 piece hatch is glued down with white glue, so I can remove it and put in a crewman, if I get ambitious. (Moi?) Time for paint, have to decide to mask or brush. I'll probably mask this one so I can use My Mr. Color Japanese paint set "For Tanks". Says so on the box.

Also a pic of my box of nubs. So as not to have the little bastids all over the place I actually got as many as possible into the box. Not all of them made it, some are still waiting for the vacuum. Gives an idea how doggone many sprue attachment points were clipped and cleaned up. Eeesh. The price of fine molded parts. Also have 2 excess Japanese type 89 tank machine guns for sale.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a lot of clipping and cleaning Bill!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Now it really looks like a tank ! Great work Bill... Are you going to brush paint part of the camouflage on or spray it all ?

• Profile Photo

Louis still deciding. Brown base coat is on it, would like to mask it so's as to use my nice Mr. Color "For Tanks" paint. We'll see how much of a B---h it will be.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The tank may never fly, but it looks like it will be up there amongst the stars when finished. Looking forward to the paint - no pressure 🙂

• Profile Photo

Got some paint on. Elected to brush paint, no way I'm masking all those nooks and crannies. That Vallejo (standard) paint brushes beautifully, just thin it slightly with H2O, and it levels itself dead flat no brush strokes. I have done several tanks now with it and love the results. Only thing I'm not happy with is the basecoat, I believe the color Mr. color gives you is to durn dark. Should be more of a red brown. Too late now, it should under weathering and mud and dust.

Also used Vallejo on this Chinese Army Vickers 6 tonner finished a couple months ago. Try masking this. Not this boy.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Brush painting turned out terrific, @billkoppos.
    Always had my doubts on how well an acryl can be brush painted.
    No doubts anymore, though I believe it definitely has to do with the Vallejo quality.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Bill, I am also soldiering on this build. I noticed the fenders F1 and F17 were swapped on the instructions, luckily not too difficult to spot. I wonder how to add the PE around the exhaust. I must say I am a bit frustrated there is no bending tool for the job as it is not an easy form. I thin I'll make a form myself from wood to bend it around. What would be your suggestion? Thanks, Michel.

@billkoppos

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Michel, Yeah, maybe carve a piece of balsa wood quick. Tamiya's 97 gave you a form. Sometimes if you just look around quick you find something laying about, an X-acto handle, a wood dowel, brush handle, etc. Trick is to have a lot of stuff laying about...:) Those screens don't have to be perfect anyway as they get bashed about pretty quick.

I'm about to restart on this one, now that the Shiden-Kai is done. Just rescued my tank crew from the storage unit.

Dragon's plans can be a gas, can't they?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Bill, you are right as ever when you say

Trick is to have a lot of stuff laying about….
    No question about that. Looking forward to progress on this non-flyer