Dragon Chi-Ha with Crew

Started by Michel Verschuere · 36 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years ago:

As my contribution, I will add two kits to this GB. Dragon's Chi-Ha Japanese medium tank #6870 and Miniart's excellent figure set for Japanese Tank Crew #35128.

I don't have the impression that the Japanese army was the most armor-reliant compared to other Axis countries but I always wanted to build a Japanese tank because of all the beautiful rivets 😛 In that way, I will feel a bit closer to my fellow imodelers contributing a plane to this GB.

Thanks Louis for hosting this one!

I hope you like it!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Aha ! Thanks for joining us Michel. @michel-verschuere

You picked a good one to build here. I'll be following along with keen interest on this one. I have a similar Dragon kit in the stash. If you happen to run into any problems along the way, please let me know, like you did on the Tunisian Tiger you built a little while ago. That one turned out great too... as do all of your builds.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Your choices will add that special flavor at this group build, Michel.
    All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years ago:
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@lgardner, here I come. I expect to enter the T-72 build in the main feed in the next days!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I was very impressed with how your T-72 looks, and now with work starting on this one, I am anxious to see how you build this little tank up next. I'll bet there's a huge difference if you were to compare these two (with the T-72 parked next to your Chi-Ha) next to each other. I'm always amazed at just how small these early armored vehicles were, ans equally amazed at how thin the armor was on them... But if they were constructed too heavy, the suspension wouldn't be able to handle the weight, and the tracks would sink in the soil because they also lacked a wide modern "foot print".

Looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Today, I started the build on this one. @billkoppos this is not a race, my friend! I am following your build report to learn from it. Glad yours is now built complete!

This type 97 seems like a very nice little tank. I was surprised that the dimensions are rather small, I estimate the tank was only 2/3 the width of a German Pz. III. @lgardner, you were absolutely right, I don't think I would have fitted into a type 97 with my 6ft10inch...

Here is the box art again:

I completed most of the lower hull, rest if for the next week:

The suspension of this little tank is well detailed and the plastic is good to work with. Flash on this kit is nowhere to be found, just some work removing the mold seems on the suspension arms. Nothing rocket-science like though...

Hope you like it, if you do, tune in, there is more on the way!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Looks good. As I said other than a very few pitfalls, it's a great kit. Mine is awaiting camouflage, so no one can see it.
    When they are both done we can get together and have a parade.

• Profile Photo

Sounds like a great idea this parade! What is the Venue? Okinawa? What version you intend to build @billkoppos? Kit version? Maybe we can vary the version between us...

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I was thinking Singapore.

I'm doing the version that's finished and has a coat of Brown paint on it haha

In reality, Dragon does it's usual trick of giving you a choice of stuff, and not bothering to tell you the difference. EG a choice of return rollers, skinny or wide. I chose the skinny ones, this is an early version, usually stuff like that is beefed up in later versions. Pictures support this (vaguely). Also the turret antenna, they are very similar, but one looks a bit more shallow, which I chose because...well because that's why. No info could I find on the innertube, maybe you're a better searcher than I.

To be different from mine you could paint a nice commander figure with a properly painted face, which I cannot do. 🙂

Have fun.

• Profile Photo

Ok, Bill, sounds like a plan! I think the main challenge of this kit is the painting, I like this yellow ribbon camo scheme. I read somewhere the Japanese wanted to mimic the effect of sunlight peeping through jungle foliage. Makes sense to me. I did plan adding a figure, never painted an Asian face before though, mostly Jerries...

• Profile Photo

Hello Michel, @michel-verschuere
    This is coming along nicely... and I found some photos you might like...

You guys are really tempting me to pull one of the Japanese tanks out of the stash... ; )

Looking good my friend. I can't wait to see what you do next. These were some very small tanks. I don't think they would hold up too well if they came across a Sherman. In fact the Stuart was probably better too.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice approach, Michael. Loved reading your conversations with @billkoppos and @lgardner. I am slowly but steadily tempted to build armor myself!

• Profile Photo

Well @lgardner, small is beautiful, I don't think the IJA recruited their tank force with the college basketball team... I like that "family photo" on the tank, as well as the last one where the commander holds his katana!

• Profile Photo

The family photo and the Katana picture were my favorites too... You made me smile with your comment about the basketball team. Thanks I needed that...