Eduard 1/48 A6M2 Model 11

Started by Tom Cleaver · 7 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Well, I chose which kit to pull first from the Big Eduard Box of Goodies. The A6M2 Model 11.

Hasegawa did a Model 11, but not with the attention to detail this one has. There are two different rear canopy sections, to recreate the various production differences (65 airplanes total, built in three batches, varying detail differences between each). Also the difference between the early and the other Model 11s regarding position of the engine exhaust.

The surface detail is incredible, so petite, so detailed, so perfect. The cockpit detail is wonderful. Fit is overall excellent.

The model took two afternoons over maybe 6-7 hours to arrive at the point where it is ready to move to the paint shop.

If you like the Zero, the Eduard kits are what you want (same as with the Bf-109, the Fw-190A, the P-51D, the Spitfire in all Merlin versions, the Wildcat, etc., etc.) Follow the instructions and greatness will result.

The only place any filler was used was to cover over the arrester hook well, since the Model 11 was land-based only, and the centerline of the upper rear fuselage (a Modeler-Induced Problem). Since there are no other changes in the fuselage between Model 11 and Model 21, this made sense on economic terms for Eduard. (fortunately the instrument panel position was corrected before the glue set when I looked at the photo)

I note the A6M3 Model 32 arrives next month.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress on this definitive Zero kit, my friend @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great start, Tom @tcinla
    The interior does indeed look very detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Here it is painted, decaled and finished except for minor detail painting. I chose to do it in the markings of PO2 Hideki Oishi's early-production A6M2 Model 11 of the 12th Kokutai at Hankow airfield in March 1941.

This is one of the first 15 Model 11's sent to the 12th Kokutai in August 1940, which took part in the first air combat for the type on September 13, 1940. Oishi shot down 2 of the 27 I-153 and I-16's engaged and shot down. He is famous as the leader of three pilots who strafed an enemy field on October 4, then landed and they attempted to set fire to enemy aircraft on the airfield. The 14 victory markings are the scores of six different pilots who flew this airplane.

I chose to do it for the interesting paint wear. By March 1941, the airplane had been in southeastern China 8 months, and was faced on the upper outer wing and the rear fuselage and tail, with the inner wing and forward fuselage not so faded because it was covered by a tarpaulin on the ground.

There's still some exhaust staining and "dings" to get done.

Kit decals used in the "traditional" manner.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Tom, @tcinla
    I really like this scheme you have chosen. It reminds me of a picture I have seen in the past, possibly in the Squadron Signal book on the A6M "In Action" series. I remember seeing a photo somewhere, showing formation of 3 Zeros in flight. Going from memory, the caption stated it was above China. One of the Zeros had the rear section of the fuselage that looked considerably lighter in appearance, (even in a B&W). It was so obvious, it looked as if the rear section of the aircraft had been replaced with one from another Zero. The parting line was perfect, right along the joint where the air frame was bolted together.

I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice result, Tom @tcinla. Indeed an interesting chosen scheme and well applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Fantastic result, my friend @tcinla!