Fine Molds 1:72 Kyushu Q1W1 "Lorna"

Started by George R Blair Jr · 41 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Fine Molds, Kyushu, Lorna, Q1W1
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That’s fantastic info, George! And, even better, it is making for a unique and very eye catching build! Love the chipping and the upper surface, which is stunning. That’s a ton of progress for one day! Looking forward to the next instalment!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The Lorna is finally done. I decided to depict it as a late war plane that was showing some signs of war weariness. After the basic paint was complete, I sprayed several thin layers of AK Real Colors Clear Gloss. Thinned about 30%, it sprayed a glossy surface that dried in just a few minutes. I let the gloss dry overnight just to be sure that I had a really hard layer to work on.

I had already painted some of the markings on the airplane, but used the kit decals for the rest of the plane. I was really impressed by the kit decals, which were very thin and had an absolute minimum of clear carrier around the colored parts. They went on easily, and Microsol & Microset helped them snug down over details.

The kit decals are very complete and even come with "Don't Walk" stencils for the wings.

I didn't want to mask and paint the yellow leading edges of the wings, so I decided to use the decals that came with the kit. I wanted to try to fade the bright yellow of the decals, so I sprayed some dull yellow on the kit decals before I applied them. It worked great, but I could have achieved the same thing with the later oil paint washes. The decal for the tail number was all yellow, but the plane I was modeling needed the Japanese character on the decal to be red. I hand-painted the red with Vallejo acrylics and then sealed the decal with some clear gloss from a spray can. This was a mistake, as it made the decal quite thick. In an irrational moment, I decided to use fine sandpaper to lightly sand the decal to reduce its thickness. Although I did manage to reduce the thickness of the decal, I also managed to reduce the clarity of the decal, making it look like it was misted over with something. I decided to use the decal anyway, hoping that the sealing layer of clear would restore the clarity of the decal. (It did.)

I let the decals dry for 24 hours before I sealed them in with Clear Flat from AK Real Colors.

I tried a variety of weathering methods on the plane. I used both black and dark brown Tamiya oil washes. I wanted to simulate uneven fading on the upper surfaces, so I decided to use some artist's oil paints and mineral spirits. I used mainly Naples Yellow, which is almost a light tan, and Veridian Green, which is a dark green. I applied these colors in various mixes to specific areas on the plane, and then used a soft brush damp with Mineral Spirits to blend the effect.

Playing around with these oil effects turned out to be really fun. A little Naples here, a little green there, and a little brown somewhere else. Oil colors can take a long time to dry, but the mineral spirits help with the dry time. I let the oil effects dry for 24 hours before sealing them in with some more flat clear. Finally it was time to add all of the small stuff that I left off till now to be sure it didn't break off and end up lost in the carpet. So, the various radars were added, along with the pitot tube, and the antenna on top of the canopy. All that was left was to take some pictures and add to its buddies on the 1/72 scale shelf.

15 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Congratulations George @gblair! This is an amazing result.

I loved this final part of decalling and weathering. Trully excellent, hand painted fin details included.

Having followed this build from the start, please allow me to state your:

Excellent kit choice

Deep research for the subject

GREAT building, detailing, painting, recalling, weathering...

Outstanding sharing of info in this EoJ Group Build

All in all, it was pure joy to follow your build, Sir; I am deeply amazed.

All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten. I have several kits from Fine Molds, but this is the only one I have built. The Lorna was stress free, so I am looking forward to the others. The weathering was one big experiment which could have easily gone the other way. Maybe we should do a group build on Greek airplanes? There are some cool planes and paint schemes with weathering opportunities from pristine to well-worn.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hello George, @gblair
    Your "Lorna" build was very educational, and to be honest with you, I never knew the type existed until I saw you bring this one to the table. I also learned a lot about the special markings, with the "Backwards C" and the red and yellow tail markings... Now it's all coming into focus with how I have seen various photos over the years of other Japanese aircraft with similar markings. The most notable of these pictures I recall was either a late War "Kate" or a "Jill" with antennas along the side of the fuselage. I'll try to locate that one and post it up if I can find it.

I sincerely hope that you continue on and build some more of your Fine Molds kits in your stash. I have a few of them coming soon myself...

Thanks again my friend for sharing your magnificent workmanship with us, that you have put on display here for us all to enjoy.

I have learned so much already from this magnificent Empire of Japan group, and hope that this will continue on...

Your "Lorna" looks great in the headlines section. Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis @lgardner. I gained some insight and interest in Japanese anti-submarine aircraft when I got the reference book that I used Japanese Anti-Submarine Aircraft in the Pacific War by Ishiguro and Januszewski. Great info, photos, and diagrams. I may take a break from small stuff with props and do a 1/48 jet. I also have some 1/48 Japanese stuff that will probably come after that. Be safe.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Well @gblair, now I have to get this book. . . Thanks anyway for pointing it out, and be assured that the next project of yours will be followed with the same interest as this one. Thank you for sharing your builds and research with us all!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Love it - already started shopping for a Lorna and mask set...! Love the weathering work, and all the effort with additional markings painting, etc. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Hello George, @gblair
    I like books... sort of an aircraft book nerd... maybe just a history nerd. That book of yours looks really cool and very informative with the cutaway drawings and such. Enjoy your break from props, and when the time is right you will be back here with another fantastic project. We will be looking forward to seeing your work here again in the future. Thanks again for sharing your research with us.

Meanwhile, take care and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Hello George, @gblair
    I like books... sort of an aircraft book nerd... maybe just a history nerd. That book of yours looks really cool and very informative with the cutaway drawings and such. Enjoy your break from props, and when the time is right you will be back here with another fantastic Japanese project. We will be looking forward to seeing your work here again in the future. Thanks again for sharing your research with us.

Meanwhile, take care and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

You are right, Louis @lgardner. I also am a s****r for books on aviation history. I have a library full of them. It was sort of unavoidable. I was an Air Force Pilot for 20 years, and then taught US History for 20 years at a junior college.