Fujimi Aichi Type 99 D3A1 Val 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 52 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Your attention to all the little details is amazing Chuck. This looks great !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, that’s going together quickly and very nicely. I love the aotake. I have the life color version - but I like the look of this very much.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Paul, I have another bottle of Aotake from Testors, it looks a bit more blue. I just went ahead and used the Mission Models as it was a good time to start to see how it performed for the first time.
    Next up is to attach the horizontal stabs and the wings.

These are moulded in one piece. No option to pose the stabs.

These went inot place with a good fit no alignment issues.

Next the 1 piece lower wing panel fits very well at the fuselage point front and rear. Not much cleanup will be need at the rear point.

Then the LH/RH upper wing panels are attached in place. The wing root point of contact to fuselage again is good here as well.

Next up is to on the under wing details.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That's a nice progress, Chuck! Your Val is taking shape. Nice late '30s shape!
    Thanks again for sharing your progress in such nice and extensive manner.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

just following up here - the Aotaki looks just right, and some nice progress since my last visit here.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Going along nicely Chuck, guessing it won’t take you much longer to get it painted

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, not as detailed as your Hase kit, yet at least the shape seems to be correct. Just an older mold with basic interior.
    Eric, yes I do like the finish that the Mission Models Aotake dries with that Green tone that Aotake was known for not so blue.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Using True Detail Resin wheels to replace the kit wheels will be an improvement. The Fujimi wheels are ok but lack details. The TD wheels are also weighted. But that would be the only advantage over the kit wheels as the details are hidden under the spats.

Removing them out of the package. The hubs are painted Vallejo Aluminum.

Then Tamiya Rubber black is used for the tires.

Then carefully removed from the resin block.

Next to add some details under the airframe.

The radome is attached in place in a well just forward of the rear wing to fuselage mounting point.

The bomb racks are attached to LH/RH outer wing panels.

I believe these are support studs for the swinging bomb rack that tucks under the center fuselage. These are attached in place on the lower wing.

The wheels are sandwiched between the wheel spats halves and will leave them to spin freely with in. This will also allow the weighted part of the wheel to always be touching the ground in place.

Once the wheel spats are set. Will do some minor seam work before attaching them to the wings. The whole wheel hubs are completely hidden with in the spats.

After clean up each spat is attached to the mounting stubs on the wings. The alignment pin is a bit loose so make sure each spat is aligned straight. If not careful the cement can set at an angle or turned a bit.

With the tail wheel and main gear attached, She is up on her legs. The Val is taking shape.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Those are some very good looking wheels, Chuck. Pity they are hidden, leaving only the nicely weighted part visible.
    Your Val is greatly proceeding. Thanks for the photo sharing!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, yea a consequence of the spats that covers the whole wheel. Unlike the Stuka shows half the wheel hub. The kit itself is not bad, just lacking interior details. Otherwise the overall shape and size is pretty accurate.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

It's been a little while since I have checked in on your "Val" and you have definitely been very busy with this one. The photos you have posted show all the little details and you have this down to a science. Looks great my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    I was very happy with my Val's Hasegawa wheels: despite plain hub detail (that wouldn't show anyway) they looked adequately weighted and they just clicked into the assembled spat - no traumas. With just tiny droplets of glue in their center holes, job done was super!
    Still your wheels are a small work of art and even if their great details are hidden, you know they are there.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Those weighted wheels adds a lot to the general look. May not be obvious to most people, but that is due to the fact that they look just right.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, nice that this is a long term GB and slowly getting this Val closer to the finish line. Next up will be the Jill and then the Fine Molds Judy. Still rounding up some AM stuff for both kits, not much for the Fujimi Val.

Spiros, the TD resin wheels are loose yet firm within the spats, so the weighted part of the wheel will always sit correctly.

Erik, TD wheels are much better now than they once were. Always a good choice but there are some that may have been exaggerated in the weighted appearance. These are just right.

• Profile Photo

This step will finish up the rest of what is left under the air frame.

First with the the trapeze style bomb rack mounted on the center under the wings. Assembly of the individual parts are not difficult just when working with fragile pieces.

4 pieces make up the components for the trapeze bomb rack that swings down before dropping the bomb on target.

Careful assembly of the fragile parts and then attach it in place under center section of the wing.

Next to assemble 1 of 3 bombs that will hang under the Val. This is the 550lb bomb carried under the fuselage.

Next the intake scoops will be attached under the forward section of the fuselage straddling the bomb trapeze mechanism.

Finally the dive slats are removed cleaned and placed on their pedestals under each wing.

These would deploy on a diving run to help maintain control and recover after delivering their bomb load.

Next up some seam clean up and intstall the canopy
    more to follow.