Hasegawa 1/48 Ki. 43-I

Started by Tom Cleaver · 15 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Quick: What Japanese fighter was best-known to the Japanese public during the war, and shot down more than half of the enemy aircraft credited to Japanese fighter pilots in the Pacific War?

If you answered "the Zero", you're wrong. The Ki.43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon), known to Allied aircrews as "Oscar," was the best-known Japanese fighter during the war to the Japanese public. The Zero only took that position after the war when the Americans arrived, since they had considered that airplane more important, and had called every Japanese fighter with a low wing and a "bubble" canopy a "Zero" throughout the war. And yes, the pilots of Ki.43s, fighting in China, Burma, Malaya, New Guinea and the Philippines, did in fact shoot down more Allied aircraft than any other Japanese fighter. The Oscar was ubiquitous, and - according to Charles Older - a dangerous opponent in the hands of a good pilot even when the American was mounted in a P-51D, due to its outstanding maneuverability. A "good pilot" in a Ki.43 shot down Tommy McGuire, our #2 ace, and shot up the other three members of his flight, before getting away clean. Quite an accomplishment for an airplane that was barely "modern" at the outset of the war, due to the conservatism of JAAF pilots in what they wanted as an air superiority fighter.

In 1/48, Nichimo brought out a Ki.43-I back in the late 60s/early 70s as their f irst "in house" product, which was It for the Oscar up to the 1990s. Fortunately, it was a good kit and can still be turned into an acceptable model today. Then Fine Molds popped the Ki.43-II and Ki.43-III in the mid 1990s; these are good kits if you can find them, though they need some help in the cockpit. Hasegawa brought out their series of Oscars beginning with the Ki.43-I in 2001, quickly followed by the II and the III. In keeping with Hasegawa's philosophy of spinning off from a basic kit for different versions, the main airframe is the same throughout, with different wingtips (longer in span for the Ki.43-I, clipped for the later versions) and cowling and engine. The series harkens back to Hasegawa's transformation in 1980 when they acquired the design team from Mania - the Ki.43 is definitely a "Mania" kit as is the Ki.27, though simplified even more. There is no rivet detail as in the earlier model, and the cockpit is simple - not a problem since the opening's not that big that you can see more than a "suggestion" of the detail in there anyway.

I recently found one of the early releases up at the LHS estate sale for "an offer I could not refuse". It helped that a week earlier, when going through the catacombs down in the decal dungeon, I had run across two really excellent sheets for the Ki.43 from Lifelike Decals, that have some pretty spectacular markings for all three sub-types, most particularly in the realm of "colorful" with the Ki.43-I.

So, here starts basic assembly.

I don't like Hasegawa's "thing" about doing their Nakajima fighters with the butterfly combat flaps deployed, since they never were outside of actual flight, and it's not a simple case of sticking them in their flap wells. Like with the Ki.84, I cut out the flap wells from the lower wing, then fitted the flaps in the openings before proceeding further with the wing assembly. The wingtips need some careful test fitting before committing glue, to get them so they fit smoothly to the wing, The fact that the outer tip goes directly through the ailerons, and any resulting seam needs to be fixed in the fabric detailing, means that the better you can make the fit before gluing, the less trouble afterwards.

The simple cockpit is assembled with the inner sidewalls to each fuselage half before assembly, then once the fuselage is glued together, the floor, with the seat, control stick, rudder pedals and forward bulkhead including the gun butts and the instrument panel, is popped in.

With careful assembly of the wing to the fuselage, i only had to work on the area to the rear with the lower fuselage, which I putted to fill gaps and sanded smooth. I also filled the "cutout" area behind the cockpit for the canopy to be attached in the closed position, sanding it smooth since I will pose the canopy open. the two rows of cylinders for the engine and the face were painted before I took them off the sprue, assembled and with the exhausts glued to the forward fuselage, with the cowling popped over. The whole process probably took two hours in 20-30 minute breaks from writing over two days.

Painting is next and that is where the model will "come alive."

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice entry, Tom @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks good Tom. @tcinla
    You're not wasting any time with this one... I also deleted your double post as requested.

I have two of these exact same kits in the stash, and several more from the other companies you mentioned, including one of the Nichimo kits, and a Fine Molds version. The bulk of the unbuilt Ki-43 kits I have are from Hasegawa. I have yet to build one of these, but after seeing how quickly they go together, this just might change soon. The only other "Oscar" fighters I have built is a 1/32 Hasegawa and a 1/48 Otaki kit.

When I build up one of these early Hasegawa Ki-43's, I plan to build mine up with the markings of Tateo Kato.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner: if you do Kato's from this kit, beware that the decals are the "ivory white" Hasegawa decals. There are several aftermarket decals (Superscale 49-515) that have his airplane with good decals. Check eBay for them.

Thanks for dumping the double post. Confusion reigned here. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Here it is painted.

I first painted the model overall with Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black, thinned 50-50 and misted on.

I masked off the area on the fuselage around the cockpit for the antiglare panel.

I painted the lower surfaces of the ailerons and elevators with Tamiya XF-14 "J.A. Grey" then lightened it with some Tamiya XF-2 Flat White to go over those areas and emphasize detail. I also used this paint to "blotch" the upper surface. The lower areas were then masked off, and the lower surfaces were painted with Vallejo "Semi-matte Aluminum," misted on to get a flatter finish to simulate the weathering of unpainted aluminum. I then painted the upper surfaces with Tamiya XF-13 "J.A. Green", thinned 50-50 and misted on to get an irregular surface color simulating sun fading. Since the airplane I am modeling was relatively new, I brought up the darker color more since sun-fading was not so noticeable yet.

I took photos of the model during the process, with both the "blotched" primered surface and the painted surface, so you can see how the effect works.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Love the blotched effect!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks good, Tom. I have that kit and Lifelike decal set in the “to do soon” pile.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 3 months ago:

MMMM "Marbling"...very good looking. Screw the stripe decals...spray 'em...it's easy and fun!

• Profile Photo

Decals done. I went with the markings for Master Sergeant Satoshi Anabuki of the 50th Sentai, who ended the war as the JAAF ace of aces with 39 victories, 30 scored in the Ki-43, 26 of those between August-December 1942 over Burma/South China/east Inda. Lifelike Decals 48-041 "Nakajima Ki-43 Part 1".

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decals look nice and sharp!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Finished.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Quick work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great finish, Tom!
    Love the chipping!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@chinesegeorge - it's a really easy kit. the only "hard" part was opening up the flap area to close the flaps. It's so nice and easy I picked up the Ki.43-II kit, which I will do in the markings of Warrant Officer Sugimoto, the guy who got Tommy McGuire.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

Do you know this vid? The pilot is very critical about the first versions of the Hayabusa.