Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-43 II Hayabusa.

Started by Paul Barber · 36 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years ago:

Well, I need to rebuild a Ki-43 Oscar. It is part of the Hollywood build that I intend to complete - if at my own pace. The story of my original Oscar build and its sad demise is to be found at that group thread.

I’m sure Louis and David won’t mind this existing between the two groups as this is a new build that fits into both well.

Anyway, with their permission, here is a start. Cockpit parts and some primed small pieces - engine, undercarriage etc. Hopefully I will get a little more done tomorrow.

And hopefully the postman will bring me some supplies to kick on with the J7w1 and another new build.

Here are a couple of phone snaps to show my start.

Yahu photo-etch IP and some work with a soft silver pencil to begin a quick job in the cockpit - which is sadly barely visible on this great kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Looks perfect, Paul! Cannot wait to see your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years ago:

Looking forward to see your progress Paul!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Welcome Paul ! @yellow10
    This is absolutely perfect, and a much welcomed addition to the EoJ GB. However I must forewarn our viewers that they are in for a real treat with this one...and the following safety message applies. Participating in this build journal may result in the possible side effects with the urge to purchase yet another kit for the stash, and the need for yet another paint bottle of IJA Gray Green...

Now you have two wonderfully epic builds underway here for our viewing pleasure. The work you have done with this one already looks fantastic. The Yahu IP is a very nice addition to an already marvelous kit. By the look of things, you will be buttoning up the fuselage very soon.

I recognize everything in the photos except the two oblong items in the second photo that are located on the left side at approximately 10:30 / 11:00 position. They are painted in a very dark color, black or blue / black and could possibly be a pair of drop tanks ? What are those parts ? I'm curious.

Thanks for such incredible support, and I am looking forward to the next installment. The Ki-43 is such a cool little plane, and Hasegawa has done a marvelous job with it in their 1/48 kit lineups. The 1/48 Nichimo kit is also a good one... You are enticing me to take another look at the stash... See ? I'm already infected. This plastic bug is very addictive and the need for a mask is not entirely necessary, unless one is painting of course.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Off to a great start here - I'm tuned in!

• Profile Photo

Yes Louis, drop tanks at an odd angle!

• Profile Photo

So here is a small update. Just the side panels glued in and some detail picked out in black and steel - with red added using an Ammo ‘oilbrusher’. The way this kit works is that the fuse is now glued together and the cockpit pushed up onto place. I am waiting for the postman with some Japanese seatbelts but will build as far as I can until that limits me!

Here are a couple of phone snaps.

I will add a thin wash to these parts tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Looking very nice Paul. One started in the stash so looking forward to this

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Great attention to detail, Paul! Looks super, @yellow10!

• Profile Photo

Here’s the engine - again not much need to go overboard on detail - I have tried to ensure the front is lighter in colour - aluminium paint. And the back is darker - natural steel paint. And I have washed to add a little grim and to lift deepened the shadows and raise the highlights in contrast. Again mostly hidden away. Ammo Black Night wash.

• Profile Photo

And the office with cockpit blu-tac’ed in to show position.

Will close up tomorrow and glue this in place.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

The details are great - steady hand paintjob / silver pencil and all. As you wrote little will be visible, but now we all know it's there!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Ok - back to this one now that the Eduard seatbelts have finally dropped into the letterbox. Will fill and sand over the weekend - maybe get some primer on too. Aiming to go from a drab, weathered plane as in the film ‘For Those We Love’. I’ll undercoat in airframe aluminium and then chipping fluid in the areas I want to scuff up.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

The cockpit looks amazing, Paul. Nicely put together fuselage and wings/tail. Such a pity the cockpit opening is small, so one cannot admire all of those great details. One must have "Penlight Police" abilities! (LOL).

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great! The Oscar is my favorite Japanese WWII fighter. Much more graceful looking than the Zero, with its sleek aft fuselage/tail and smaller canopy.

In the 80s, I built the 1/32 Hasegawa kit. Wish I still had it!