Hasegawa 1/72 Kawasaki Ki61(Tony)

Started by Bob Torres · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 3 months ago:

It has been many years since I have built a model to represent anything from Japan. My last build was an Otaki 1/48 Ki-84 Frank back in 1986. Not too long-ago Jay @ssgt sent me a package of a few kits that he no longer had interest in. He asked me if I had an interest on the kits and I accepted, thank you Jay. One of the kits was the Hasegawa Ki-61 Tony in 1/72 scale. A very nice kit that was first released in 1973. It is also one of the first kits that Hasegawa made with complete recessed panel lines in which as we closed in to the 80's Hasegawa, Tamiya, Otaki, Fujimi and other Japanese brands pushed our hobby away from kits with raised lines and rivets.

About two weeks ago I started on this build and so far, it is an easy build. This past week I barely touched it, but I need to get the wheels rolling again.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The side walls of the cockpit had no details, so I added some stretched spue and small cut pieces of styrene to spice up the area.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Glued the fuselage halves together and the pieces for the wings. This kit was boxed in 1987 so it had some flash but not bad. So, some cleaning was needed.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wings and tail surfaces are glue to the fuselage. Again, a little cleaning was needed but nothing bad. Once cleaned they pretty much fell together.

• Profile Photo

The fuselage seams were a little uneven, so it needed some putty. It took about two rounds on applying the putty and later sanding the surfaces even.

• Profile Photo

Applied the first coats of paints.

• Profile Photo

The original decal sheet looked okay but when I used the instrument panel decal it all fell apart. So not wanting to take a chance I ordered a set, and they came in this past Friday.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

You made good job! So quick build 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 3 months ago:

That is going together nicely, Bob @v1pro.
    The added interior details look very nice.
    The new decals you bought look like some nice ones.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Lis @lis and Jay @ssgt, it is coming along nicely. Let’s see how the decals work out later. I like the new set.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great start, Bob @v1pro
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Bob, @v1pro
    The Ki-61 is my favorite Japanese aircraft from WW2. I can remember building the 1/32 scale Revell Ki-61 Hien way back in the 70's. It had the coolest box top art work, showing a "Tony" roaring down the airstrip as it was taking off. It had the green squiggly lines on top as camouflage and bare metal underneath. I kept that very same model for many years hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom as a child.

Thanks for starting this project, and I am looking forward to seeing your choice of markings.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Coming along nicely indeed, my friend @v1pro!
    Looking forward to the decaling!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Crazy week, I finally got to do some work on the Ki-61. After applying another coat of the upper and lower paints I gave the model a couple of gloss coats using Future. I also started to high light the panel lines using a black and silver pencil.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 2 months ago:

I applied the decals that belong to Chuichi Ichikawa's plane. The green three leaf clover looks pretty attractive to my eyes.

My biggest fight was the yellow decal used on the leading edge of the wings. I should have sized it earlier to see if it was either too small or too big. To me, it looks like it is a bit too wide from the leading edge going towards the trailing edge on top pf the wing. Plus, it also gave me issues on settling onto the wing. I micro-sol'd as much as I dared to. I ended up with a few minor wrinkles, so I dirtied it up a little to try to hide them. The red star decals on the wing's gun and the red writings on top of the wings towards the training edge are from the Haseqawa kit while the rest are from the Print Decals sheet.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.