Hasegawa 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero (Captured Pt.2)

Started by George Henderson · 42 · 3 years ago · 1/48, A6M5, Hasegawa, The empire of Japan 1919-1946
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I just found some photos so I thought I would add a final entry. This will be one of the captured A6M5 Model 52 Zero fighters at the RNZAF airfield at Jacquinot Bay, New Britain, 18 Sep 1945. Photos are Public Domain

I shamelessly use the same starting photos as I used in my other A6M5 GB thread

• Profile Photo

Swear to God, this is the last of the Pt.1 photos I'll use. Seat about to have lightning holes drilled out...

Part B10(B) will need to be removed from the I.P. part B10(A) and then attached to the left side panel. A lesson learned from the first build is to attach the part after painting. A wee beastie to paint the dials and switches after the part was glued first.

Ready for paint

Innards paint

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Curious as to how you insert the photos/text together instead of all the thumbnail pics at the bottom? Thanks

• Profile Photo

Just found out a while ago myself. Once you have your photos added, copy the [pic#]

...and then paste where you want it

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great tip about the IP, I'll keep it in mind when i get my kit back out of storage. @blackadder57

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Awesome! Thanks a ton George

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for that tip, George. It will definitely improve my posts.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

There are a lot more tips in the "tutorials" at the bottom of the page - like how to make a heading, bold and italics text - use the same [] before the text you want to make one of the three, and end with [/] Also you can make a quote that way, but visit the tutorials section - it is great stuff!

Sorry to intrude on your tread here @blackadder57 - hope it is OK

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great progress @blackadder57!

• Profile Photo

Innards done. Main colour is Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey and dry-brushed with XF-71 Cockpit Green and then a Future clear coat. A wash was added using Citadel Agrax Earthshade and then I tried to dirty things up using Winsor & Newton Oil Raw Umber. First time doing this. I put a very small dab on the end of a round toothpick and then dotted up the area; four or five dots that wouldn't add up to 1mm² and then dry brushed it around. It can just be made out and to me that's perfect. Scratches came from a quilting pencil. Flat-coated with Microscale

The I.P. turned out better than the first time in Part 1, I got a better point on the quilting pencil. Engine was painted with X-32 Titanium Silver and washed with Citadel Black Ink. Crank case was paint with Polyscale Blue-Grey. I was even able to get to the dials on the left console as I left off the part until painting was done

Hoping to get everything into the fuselage tonight and not...I repeat not forget to install the tail wheel first this time

• Profile Photo

Looking great, @blackadder57!
    I liked the idea of grey cockpit, drybrushed with cockpit green.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros. Last thing before I turn in, wings pieces are joined together and the cockpit was attached to the right fuselage half. Pics in the A.M.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Sharp as always here @blackadder57! Might I quote you before closing up the fuselage:

and not…..I repeat not forget to install the tail wheel first
    I am looking forward to seeing this part 2 done - looks very interesting in b/w photos!

• Profile Photo

Thy will be done Erik. I had to remove a locating pin in the front of the fuselage and grind down a bit of the bulkhead to get a better fit at the front and the soon to be broken off tail wheel was installed.

Togetherness starting.

Wing parts are also together.

There are locating pins on the wing parts, relying on the ailerons on the upper wing halves to get line-up started. This actually worked very well and I got pretty much a seamless fit. Note the cannons have been removed after I checked for about the sixth time

• Profile Photo

Looking good, @blackadder57!
    Good luck with your tailwheel!