Hasegawa 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero (Captured Pt.2)

  • 39 posts
  • Last reply 11 hours, 50 minutes ago
  • 1/48, A6M5, Hasegawa, The empire of Japan 1919-1946
Viewing 16 - 30 of 39 posts
  • George Henderson said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

    Thank you Spiros. I keep forgetting to ask if anyone knows what the area in the oval is all about; is there a different version to this kit that requires it? It was on the other build as well and serves absolutely no purpose.

  • Jeremy Millan said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

    Cockpit and IP is looking good. Have no idea about the oval area? Looks like grooves for something?

  • George Henderson said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

    Thank you. I went through all the Hasegawa A6M5 releases thinking that the area may be for batteries for a motorized version but not so.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

    Went through Scalemates to check the kit timeline and instructions. Nothing came out of it. Looks like that area was reserved for a per Hasegawa’s style future use for something, possibly batteries, as you pointed out, @blackadder57.
    The follow on new tool version, that came out in 1994, did not have such arrangement.

  • George Henderson said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

    I don’t know if the fuselage change much from earlier variants. If it didn’t then this may be a leftover from Hasegawa’s A6M2 or 3. Anyhoo….appendages added…

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

    Cannot comment about the possible fuselage change, George, but I like the progress made.

  • Erik Gjørup said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

    It’s a plane! Looks better all the time @blackadder57! And for that insert, I know nothing, but batteries sounds plausible. (And I notice the tailwheel is covered by the tailplane)

  • George Henderson said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

    Thanks guys. Last bit before the camp bus. The bottom of the landing gear was removed in the photos and I was just confirming this before cutting, I noticed that the inner gear doors weren’t carried as well.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

    All these great small details addressed add to the final realism.

  • George Henderson said 3 days, 18 hours ago:

    Project was on hold until the canopy masks showed up. Masks arrived while I was in camp and I’m just starting to attach them. Once again I noticed a poor fit as with my last A6M5. I checked the packaging to make sure I hadn’t ordered a Tamiya set by mistake but no, the header says for Hasegawa. I now notice that the masks are for clear parts G1, G2 and G3.; my kit has parts G4, G5 and G6….WTF!!!! Off to Scalemates………………My kit was a 1995 rebox of the original 1982 kit and contains clear parts G4, G5 and G6. We go to 2012 and find new clear parts G1, G2 and G3 have now been added. Odd about the part numbering sequence and would have been nice if this was mentioned by Eduard as there are 29 reboxings of the kit between the original and the 2012 offering that the masks won’t fit properly. Anyhoo….I’ll finish with the masks and amend later on

  • Louis Gardner said 3 days, 15 hours ago:

    George, @blackadder57
    I am sorry to hear this about your masks not fitting properly. I can imagine how upsetting this must have been, especially when you come home from work all excited, ready to go since your parts have arrived, only to be disappointed later when you discover they don’t fit.

    I only used masks once in a while, and I’ll admit they are much easier to use than having to mask off the windows using tape. Hang in there buddy, at least you’re not masking the windows in a G4M Betty !!!

    Please keep us posted on how this works out for you.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 3 days, 10 hours ago:

    Hi George @blackadder57! I agree with Louis @lgardner in all terms.
    Waiting for your recovery actions!

  • George Henderson said 3 days, 2 hours ago:

    Thanks guys, all good now. I added some extra Tamiya tape to the gaps. Even though the masks were a poor fit it was still better than trying to do some of the tricky curves myself. Just painted the small anti-glare area in front of the I.P. black and the rear deck under the rear canopy area white. When that dries I’ll start the main paint. My plan is to spray the area that held the Hinomarus Tamiya XF-11 J.N. Green. I’ll then haphazardly spray the rest off the upper air-frame the same colour. When dry I’ll cover the area that held the Hinomarus with two pieces of tape in the shape of a cross and then spray white over the entire air-frame

  • Erik Gjørup said 2 days, 23 hours ago:

    Happy the masking works out, and sounds like the plan for the paint will be great – hope you get the time to take some pictures during the process.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 2 days, 13 hours ago:

    Indeed, painting plan is super, as my friend @airbum commented. I am tuned in here.

Viewing 16 - 30 of 39 posts