Ki-43 Girl from Nakajima....another shelf of doomer

Started by Bill Koppos · 33 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hmmmm some folks actually WANT to hear my whining and rants? Oh boy you're in for it now!
    Thanks for the comments guys.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I'm whinging too, Bill - it's cathartic! Your camo looks brilliant - but then again the whole plane looks sensational! Can't wait to see this finished - it's an exciting build!

• Profile Photo
    Stan Traas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Airbrush pain... Part of the game, eh? "It's always something"... Roseann Rosanadana

Looks like you'r working through the pain though... Looking great master of masking.

• Profile Photo

Well while I'se waiting for the Postman to arrive with my painting stuff, might as well work on the landing gear. They gotta come down sometimes and when they do, they gotta stop. Brake lines can be skipped in 1/72 or 1/48, but must be done in 1/32. Considering the kit's 1970's pedigree, the struts and doors aren't TOO bad, but need some fixing. First of course all the seam lines must be removed, and the injector pin marks they put right in the middle of the gear door. I added a pad inside the wheel to represent the caliper, and drilled it for my brake line. I use a roll of bracelet making rubberized lines I got from a craft store, for the rubber part, and .015 solder for the metallic part. The solder is also used for the clamps for the rubber line. I drilled lil' holes in the proper places and glued in some solder bits. Then comes the wrestling match, trying to get the flexible lines to stay where you want them.

On the subject of glues. I am still searching for that glue I see guys using on the innertube, which sticks things in their proper place immediately upon contact. NONE of the stuff I buy will do this trick, requiring holding tiny things in place for unknown periods, only to have them flop right off when you let go. By the time you finally get things in place, the damn glue is shmeared and blobbed all over your delicate job, delighting judges down the line when they are looking for things to ding you on.

At any rate I finally, after the above mentioned fun, got things into alignment. Then you can bend the little solder clips over and trim them. The Hasegawa gear doors aren't bad at all, having scores to bend them in the right areas. I cut off the way thick door braces on the gear legs and put on sprue replacements (more glue blobs and cursing) and finally she got legs. Don't look TOO bad from 3 feet.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

3 ft? They look 1/1 scale! They are prefect @billkoppos!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

You can build the landing gear on all of my models Bill...I'll send them to ya. They look very realistic. Great work !

• Profile Photo

Some progress. Received my care package from Sprue Bros, in it was Mr. Color "propeller color" so let's do the prop. Well, it seems in their 1970's wisdom, Hasegawa just gave us a spinner and no backing plate. It looked pretty poor with those gaps in the back so I grabbed some sheet styrene and had some fun doing a backer plate. The "propeller color" is called "Tea color" in some Japanese refs, it looks like dark tea to me, I would say one could use Hull Red with no problem. I like the way the Gunze sprayed, nice and even. Might as well do the Shiden prop too. That's thinkin', Huh?

Less successful was the Alclad Aqua clear on Alclad Aluminum test. I did not like the way the end result looked on the paint mule. It definitely darkened it, and pebbled a bit. Alclad really has no sealer, I really wanted something to spray over the overall camo job. By itself it needs no sealer, as they say. I also tried Alclad's Lacquer-based glosscoat, it seems better but still takes away the metallic look a bit. Maybe over the mottles, it won't make a difference. More testing to come. It has promise as a fast drying clearcoat for regular pre-decaling applications.

Anyway I sucked it in and masked for the stripes, good old Tamiya tape and Testor's flat white. Tape comes off-yay, no peeling. This time. Praise be, all is well. Now just need the 64th Sentai tail arrows, and we be good.

This thing might get finished. 15 years later. Ya never know.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Really nice work Bill, I'm impressed to say the least.

• Profile Photo

Looks perfect Bill!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Sweet looking aircraft

• Profile Photo

This afternoon, a brief update. Keeping with accepted JAAF practice, the 64th Sentai used an identifying rudder insignia, in this case an arrow motif. 1st chutai was white, 2nd red, 3rd yellow, red and yellow getting snazzy white outlines. Trying to interpret the movie still, it looks as if the arrow is a slightly darker shade than the stripes, I'm going 3rd chutai. It makes for more masking work, but hell it's worth it. Because when this is done, NO decals at all will be harmed in the creation of this model. Atsa way I likes it. At any rate, except for the usual needed touch ups, it came out nicely.

Tomorrow , it's canopy time, then to figure out how to finish it off.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Arrow is perfect, Bill!

• Profile Photo

OK the last Girl from Nakajima is complete, the 15 year journey from Atlanta, the shelf of doom to shelf of display (yet to be located) is over.

Clearcoat, weathering (mild), flatcoat, canopy, antenna, etc. NO decals were harmed in the making of this kit, every marking was sprayed on.A word about Alcad II (Lacquer based) clear-coat-it was still tacky after a week. Went on nice, very clear, BUT...won't be using it again. I want the clear coats to cure quick. I hate fingerprints.

Anyway, a couple of extras. I saw in a couple of films, the pilots using a rope , cable, of some sort hanging out of the cockpit, to get up on the wing and board the plane. Guessed where it went and made one out of some thin macramé rope painted black. It may be a tad too thick, may replace it.

Then, in the Kato movie is a shot of some Burmese and their Water Buffaloes, for local color. Always had this in the back of my head (what a dungeon that is) so years ago I picked up an appropriate looking beastie at a figure show. Also got a Verlinden set of Vietnamese folks, one of which is my lil' girl here. The Buff got a hoof repair and a repaint based on research and his driver got a colorful shirt to replace her VC pajamas. Also made her a nice straw hat. Again, please don't look at the face. She was somebody's baby once. I cannot paint faces or any exposed human flesh very well.

BTW Hayabusa fans, you're welcome. Now that I'm done with this, Zoukie-Mura will be releasing a brand new 1/32 Ki-43-II any day now. Hoping for a Ki-43-I actually.

More to come to finish this thread , I have to bring the Nakajima's sisters down and clean them up for the family portrait.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stan Traas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Superbly built, and the stance is perfect... looks heavy and menacing. And, as I've said before- the Master of Masking. You really gave a lot of love to the gear & prop too. Maybe 1/32 isn't so terrible after all... 😉 BTW- the perfect glue and gloss coat elude me too.

• Profile Photo

That's a great finish of a great build, Bill. Those figures really caught me by surprise! Superb!