Ki-51 Sonia

Started by Greg Kittinger · 14 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hasegawa, Japan, Ki-51, Sonia
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

A couple of sneak peek photos, as this is nearing the finish line. It's an old Hasegawa kit. I'll add aircrew as usual. It had nice recessed panel lines, but no rivet detail so I riveted it. I've painted the white stripe on the rear fuselage and the yellow wing markings, and masked and painted the upper surface color. I didn't want to take the time to blackbase or pre-shade, so I post shaded with 2 lighter shades of the base color. Not as much contrast, but I'll also do some oil dot filtering when done.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

What a wonderful entry, Greg @gkittinger!
    This looks to be a nice small kit and you make a masterpiece out of it. I am amazed you riveted it allover. This is exquisite attention to detail.
    I love the blue colour too.
    Waiting eagerly for your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hello Greg ! @gkittinger

I am happy to see you joining us, and your Hasegawa Sonya is right at home here... I have always liked how this plane looks when painted in blue. It reminds me of the Nichimo box art for their 1/48 scale kit from back in the day.

You are well on your way to getting this one finished. Thanks for starting a build journal, and I will be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Greg! Looks nice and clean.
    Was always interested in the Ki-51 - glad to see it now in the GB.
    I just recently found an old 'used' 1/72 Mania kit Sonia, but looks like I'll need some updated decals.
    Wait a second - Ki-51 was fixed landing gear - not retracted.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Love that blue color! Looks clean. The riveting gives it nice detail too. I need to take a crack at some some riveting.

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 3 years, 8 months ago:

so you do the blue version too...looks good so far 😉

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

WOW - thats. . . . blue! I'm tuned in here, and looking forward to seeing it progress!

• Profile Photo

@grimreaper - yep! Your dads was the inspiration! I cannot claim originality here! I often find another build that strikes my fancy - like Morne's Hs 129 or your dad's Sonia - and work to imitate it!

• Profile Photo

Ok - quick update - gloss-coated and used MIG panel line washes for the first time. With so much rivet detail to try to get the wash into, I pretty much covered the entire surface of the aircraft line-by-line, and taking it off with mineral spirits and q-tips gave me some streaking - not bad but next time I'll go lighter with the paint color knowing that treatment will darken it up a bit. You can see the rivet work I did pretty well.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good. The wash really made the rivets rivets pop. I like the streaks as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This wash brought fantastic results, Greg!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Had to wait for the Hinomarus to arrive - I'm not a fan of two-part roundels, but the kit decals were very old and faded. The decals on the tail came from the spares box. Time for flat coat and weathering...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great indeed, Greg!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Just to say - done and posted as a headline post!