Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden (震電, "Magnificent Lightning"), No. 1 Aircraft, Aug. 1945, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 56 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Empire of Japan, Hasegawa, Kyushu J7W1, Shinden
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Jeff @mikegolf and Louis @lgardner!

• Profile Photo

Masking done, using tac at the areas I wanted to obtain that "hardsoft" demarcation line and off to the paintshop.

Green applied and drying.
    Did I say this plane is beautiful?...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    I agree with you, this IS a beautiful plane. It's looking even better all the time. The paint is really bringing her to life now...

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Spiros @fiveten and nice looking paint job.
    Funny thing about the J7W - I always had to do a double take and figure out which direction it was flying.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner! A beautiful plane indeed!

Thanks George @georgeswork! Indeed we are talking about a special shape here. Your comment reminded me a humorous saying about the F-4 Phantom, when it was first seem in its final form: "They deliverd it upside down!" Still, the view of a Shinden flying is dramatic.

Thanks for commenting, my friends!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Did I say this plane is beautiful?…..
    -just to quote you my friend, and the ansver is yes, you may have mentioned it 🙂
    paint always me impatient - I want more! Looking forward to the next post my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    I want more too! Even more so as, in my mind's chaotic modelling organization (...), I have decided, for the moment of course (now it is getting funny...), to start my Nichimo Toryu after finishing the Shinden.
    We will see how long (hours, a couple of days?) I will resist cutting those wonderful Nichimo sprues...

• Profile Photo

Futured and QC/1 accepted: topsides...

...and bottom:

I gave the flat areas a VERY VERY light sanding with 3200 grit, as they felt a tad rough to the touch.
    Then decalling started...but not finished, as QC/2 rushed int the room wit wild tastes.
    I just had time to apply on the decals my good friend, Mr Mark softer.
    So here it is, with Mr Mark Softer drying:

Decals behave exemplary, despite being done in 1988.
    All the best, great EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Such a unique and cool looking plane! Looks like your work area is a diorama. I See rocks in the background

• Profile Photo

Happy that QC did not exceed VNE on this one 🙂

Great to see Mr Mark drying - or is it because he is drying the nice decals? And all you need to do now is . . . . the rest, then it is finished my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @jmillan and @airbum!

• Profile Photo

The main gear legs screamed for brake lines, so I decided to add them.

They were pieces of silver stretched sprue (so no painting was necessary), glued on the gear leg surface, following a logical direction till the wheel hub.

The main gear legs look busier now!

Touchups are done and some more will be required, as some black paint is marred.

Next time I will glue the lines before any painting, then paint the gear legs and finally bring the lines out by VERY CAREFUL silver drybrushing. We'll see how it will turn out...

• Profile Photo

What fine legs you got my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

A little update :

Cockpit almost finished
    Front landing gear dorrs painted (as I forgot to paint them when painted the MLG ones)

Canopy in process of painting.
    The two rear wheelies also almost finished.
    Things might start converging towards final phase...