Messerschmitt Bf109 E-4, 1/48 FINISHED (new picture added)

Started by Erik Gjørup · 99 · 3 years ago · 109, airbum, Bf109, Bf109 E-4, halfworks, japanese, me109, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

"Hadn't you told me I wouldn't have noticed" @airbum, or, as we say here: many will see it, few will understand it. Looks terrific! Keep it up!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten - next update shortly!

• Profile Photo

This is just a drill

Please remain calm, this is just a drill

Or perhaps “what a bore”?

In order to get some fresh air into the cabin, I wanted to open the window. That was done by chain-drilling;

And POP goes the pane. . .

After all that boring drilling a session of lovely filing took place, and voila;

The best part – the frame did not crack!

And as you might have noticed in the picture above, the Brewster decals arrived – checked them for size;

Not at all suitable for a 109 – now I may have to buy a kit for the decals.

next up the sliding windows get installed – stay tuned and feel free to comment

• Profile Photo

I love the "open-air" cabin, @airbum. Though the first pic with the drill going on was terrifying!

• Profile Photo

Thank you @fiveten - there was indeed a bit of nailbiting here, but I got it done. Next post (the last for tonight) coming up shortly!

• Profile Photo

Freestyle masking

Cockpit windows testfitted, glued, masked and interior painted

With the sliding windows testfitted it looks more like an operational 109.

Compare with the b/w print.

And with fit ensured, masking will take place;

Got it all masked in one session.

And with that done, it gets a first layer of RLM02 as the insides will be visible.

Now it will be stored for the acrylic paint to fully cure before the rest is primed.

I think the eduard kit is being sent to other parts of the globe, not suitable for EoJ GB

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

You did a masterful job of drilling and cutting those sliding side windows ! The taping looks very good. You are definitely a 109 "Experten".

The Buffalo decals in the back ground caught my eye too.

Now I'm curious about where the Eduard 109 will be shipped to... Thanks for posting the updates.

• Profile Photo

Great masking/tutorial, @airbum! Love the RLM02.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, @fiveten, Thank you. The maskingtape is a bit of a balance, as the blade needs to be sharp, and if it slips. . .

The eduard 109, well who knows, it may still be Japanese, as I have seen at least two different paint jobs, and speculate that I may have seen a third, but most likely it will be exported to somewhere in Europe 🙂 (did you not mention something of a Legion Condor 109 some time ago Louis?)

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Some really good stuff here. I was gonna post a photo of the Buffalo without the tail markings but not needed now

• Profile Photo

I would love to see the 109 in Japanese markings, @airbum! I also find Legion Condor schemes fantastic! Awaiting impatiently...

• Profile Photo

@blackadder57, please do anyway - the more info the merrier!

@fiveten sorry to say the wait may be long. My colleague just got word that he is in for surgery, and thus I shall be alone in my tower for the next 5-6 weeks. Hopefully I can sneak some hours in in the evenings now and then. . .

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Because I never had the tail markings you have, I went this route when I built my Buffalo

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is a well done WIP with great details and techniques Erik. Those Buffalo decals in Japanese markings are very interesting, Never seen those before. Always learning from other modelers love it.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

You're good at masking, forget the decals and paint those hinomarus. Will look better in the end.