Minicraft/Hasegawa 1/48 Shinden Canard Experimental Interceptor

Started by Jordyn Collier · 18 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hello again, EOJGB! This time I bring you my Shinden in 1/48, and it will be built side by side with my Zero. While only achieving a total of 45 minutes of flying time right in the days before the surrender of Japan, the project was supposedly the answer to the American Boeing B-29. Ironically, it’s enemy was the very thing that kept it from seeing service, as the plants needed to build the aircraft in large number were being bombed to oblivion by the Super Fortress. Only two prototypes were ever made, and of those only one survives today. It resides in the National Air and Space Museum, disassembled, with only the fuselage on exhibit, which various other parts stored in facilities around the compound. I look forward to building this one. Thanks again to Jay Mitchel, who sent this kit along with the zero.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a great choice, Jordyn!
    It is such a unique looking plane!
    I've built the same kit for the EoJ GB and loved it.
    Thanks for the historical intro, it was great info to read.
    Eagerly waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Jordyn, @1corsair64
    This looks like a wonderful addition to our Empire of Japan group build. Our friend Spiros @fiveten

has built this very same kit and he did a wonderful job with his. He has a nice build journal and it might show you some neat tricks and tips if you're interested.

I'm looking forward to watching this one (and your Zero) come to life and will be watching for the next installment. That was very kind of Jay Mitchell to send you these kits.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great pick, Jordyn!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Sign me up to follow this one Jordyn. Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey everyone! Just an update on how I’ll be attempting this models painting. I’ve decided on painting it and modeling it to look like it did right after it’s repairs and capture by the US Marines. That means removing glass panels (or scratch building them if I can’t modify the glass parts), denting parts of the fuselage, chipping along most panel lines, and giving it the look of replaces panels. It was thought to have been damaged by a typhoon, and most documentation on it was lost when the Japanese burned most of it in the days following the surrender.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And thanks Louis and Spiros! I’ll look at his own build on it. I’m sure there is some pretty great stuff there!

• Profile Photo

In fact, I’ve gathered just a few more pictures for this one than normal...

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow, Jordyn @1corsair64, what a great decision on depicting your Shinden after its capture and repairs. I haven't seen it modeled this way before, so I am in eager anticipation for your build!
    I just can visualize the final result: it will look fantastic!
    Those are some amazing pics above and they will be so helpful in order to build your Shinden.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Our good friend Paul Barber @yellow10
    also has one of these types on his work bench, but his kit is made by Zoukei-Mura instead of Hasegawa / Minicraft. On the very first page he has posted some very good videos of the plane. One even has one of the actual test flights, and shows how the propeller was bent on the takeoff ! This also happens to be why there are some small wheels on the bottom of the vertical stabilizers...

Paul has a lot of great information posted, and I hope this helps along your journey. I have posted a link to his build below.

https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/j7w1-1-48-zoukei-mura/

I hope this helps you Jordyn. @1corsair64

Paul @yellow10
    is a great fellow, and even better friend.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Jordyn - great choice - I love these planes - as Louis said some footage of the test flight on my currently stalled build!

Apologies for tardy replies - the site is glitchy at present - so I can only post not pm and reply to requests).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Jordyn, @1corsair64
    Those pictures you posted are amazing, and I have never seen many of them before... This is going to be one EPIC build.

You have a bunch of us signed up and watching... Bring it on buddy. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hey everyone! Back with another update. This time, it’s the build of the thing, and not just talking about it! So. What has been done? I have built the cockpit and basics of the fuselage. I removed the small tail wheels just so I don’t lose them. Then, I filled and sanded the seems, making sure everything looked good to my (unprofessional) eye, as well as adding some more (yet to be sanded) putty to some other areas around the nose to flush the parts. And to finish this off, I have sanded all of the raised details off. I plan to scribe all the panel lines after drawing them on with pencil, using my new Tamiya scribing tool! I’m very excited by this. A new skill to learn!

Yep, I knew that tail wheel story. I’ve yet to watch it, as my YouTube is glitched on my phone, but I’ve heard it’s quite the sight to see. Thank you for linking another build. I looked at it, and what a cool build, Paul! I’m following that log too.

And as for the pictures, I spent a great deal of time looking. Lots of cool little things I found in the world web info wise. I even showed Spiros the propeller jettison system for bailout, and linked him the website. Probably my new favorite subject Japanese wise. That’s it for tonight, though. I’ll get more done later this week!

P.S. I am so sorry about the lighting. I need to find a new place after my light died. My new one isn’t as bright. I promise, the final pics will be way way better. Thanks y’all!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Jordyn @1corsair64!

I can see things starting to move along, and the characteristic Shinden fuselage has emerged!

Good that you are going to rescribe it with your newly acquired Tamiya tool. I will be watching this with great interest!

I had also removed both tail minuscule wheels during my build, after one of them of course broke off...

Since then, I have have given up hopes that such parts would make it to the finihed line and have developed the habit to bravely remove such delicate items at the stat of my builds, as history had shown they would be knocked away anyway, sometimes being lost without a trace!

Deliberately removing them, allows me for a controlled cutting also.

Waiting for your next installment!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That’s a good idea to build it with a few dents & dings. In my experience it seems the average real airplane usually has a few , at least the 737s I work on do.

I’ve thought it’d be neat to build a diorama based on photos of wrecked Japanese & German aircraft at airfields at the end of WW2. Those planes had some wear & tear that’d be fun to model.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.