Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden

Started by Tom Bebout · 15 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years ago:

This is the old Tamiya 1/48 scale kit. Not a lot of parts but detail looks good and it should be a rather quick build. Have to do some research concerning colors etc. I also have a Gekko Type 11 in the stash and may do it as well depending on time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years ago:

Opened the box and looked over the parts. Not a lot so this should go rather quickly when i start.

The cockpit has some nice detail, the IP is just a decal placed on a flat surface. There are two nicely molded pilot figures included, one sitting and one standing. There is no engine, however, but with the cooling fan and spinner attached you would never see the engine. The glass is only displayed in the closed position, but since it's big and clear you'll should be able to see the cockpit rather well. Instructions are straight forward and easy to comprehend The only issue I for see are the decals. They are old and I'm not sure how they'll lay down or maybe disintegrate upon hitting water. Two versions are depicted and I like is the lighting bolt version the best. Should begin building in the near future.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Thanks for joining us Tom... @tom-bebout
    I have that same kit in the stash, and was looking to build the larger 1/32 scale Hasegawa version of it as part of our new group. Hopefully the decals will work out for you. Please keep me posted.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

There are scads of after market decals for that. Check out Sprue Brothers. OR better yet, cut and mask out the circles, and paint 'em!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Great choice. I have always loved the way this plane looks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Excellent choice, Tom. What a beautiful plane!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Long time no post so here's a quick update. Finally got the cockpit together, added some belts and a little wash to the side consoles.

Of course the wing Nav lights are molded plastic representations, so they were cut out and replaced with some scrap clear sprue. The final results turned out quite well IMHO. To get some clear sheen on them I use various grades of sanding sticks. The triple one I found at Sally's Beauty Salon where my wife buys her hair color. [pic 4]

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Loved the wingtip lights, Tom.
    Excellent cockpit, too!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Always nice when the beauty salon has modeling stuff 🙂

I like the lights a lot

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Finally got some bench time and completed the IP which is an AM piece.

Then closed up the fuselage and thought the fit of the IP was very good and enhanced the over all look of the cockpit Next came the wings which required some sanding and had some fit issues requiring some putty. The cowl was also slightly smaller than the fuselage leaving a slight step which meant more sanding. Should have some paint on her shortly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice job, Tom! The IP is really nice and adds alot to realism.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice work, Tom. I’ve always wondered what that kit looked like. Looks like it still holds up well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Tom, @tom-bebout
    This is really looking sharp ! That aftermarket IP is definitely the ticket to a great looking office. What company made it and where did you get it from ? I'm very curious, as I still have one of these in the stash and just looked at it a few minutes ago. Thanks bud.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 8 months ago:

just found this thread; innards turned out well Tom. I've always loved this tubby little beastie

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I’ll be following this build...I’ve always wanted to build this kit but knew nothing about it. And the lights and IP look great.

Here’s a pic I took of a Raiden at the planes of fame museum recently. I love the yellow lightening bolts on it.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.