Mitsubishi Ki46-II (Dinah) 1/72 LS

Started by George Schembri · 33 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Dinah, Empire of Japan, Ki46
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Going to enter the GB once again with a 1/72nd scale build, this time with an IJAAF plane - the Mitsubishi Ki-46-II Type 100 Commandant Reconnaissance Aircraft -or- simply known as Dinah.

I just started this build within the last couple of days and figured I should post the progress on this build after regretting not posting my recently completed 1/72 B6N2 Jill build.

This kit is the LS (L&S Co., Ltd) Kit No. A-301:300 - Scalemates shows this kit had a double release, first as '#A-301' in 1975 and then again as '#1' in 1980. My kit shows 'A-301' on the side of the box and then 'No.1' on the end of the box. Either way, it's an older kit. L&S Co., Ltd was founded in 1946 and ended in 1992 in bankruptcy with many of its molds being acquired by Arii, with Arii then transferring its business to an affiliated company Micro Ace in 2004.

I got this preowned kit a couple of years ago, and when I checked out the kit I was amazed by the quality of the lightly engraved panel lines and the minimal amount of flashing. When I figured out how nice LS molds were, I snatched up several more LS/ARII/Microace kits whenever I found them at what seemed like bargain pricing.

I remember the first time I read about the Ki-46 when I was a kid, reading Kenneth Munson's 'Pocket Encyclopedia of World Aircraft in Color - Bombers, Patrol and Transport Aircraft 1939-45'. Seeing the Ki-46-III weird curved extended glazed nose panel extended over the cockpit which gave it an unique aerodynamic nose profile - I thought it was designed with some type of dinosaur in mind. Reading that the Ki-46-III had a top speed of 391 mph and a range of 2485 miles had me hooked!

I don't have a 1/72 scale glazed nose ki-46-III, but it's still a Dinah and that's good enough for me!

I do have the 1/72 Hasegawa CP5 kit, the 1/72 Airfix A02016 kit as well as the 1/48 Tamiya 61092 kit, but this was my first Dinah which I bought and figured this is the one to build for the group.

I want to go with multi-colour camo scheme shown on the cover but I'm not too sure which group the 'jumping tiger' actually belongs to since the kit identifies it as belonging to the 1st Chutai 81st Hiko-Sentai but an internet search indicate it belongs to the 18th Dokuritsu Chutai and/or the 82nd Sentai. I don't know much about the IJAAF structure in WWII so I'll need to do some digging.

The original LS kit only gives me a partial camo scheme but I did find a copy of the LS/ARII kit #53013 and that gives a complete scheme paint guide - although I'm not sure of its accuracy - more digging required. The LS/ARII instructions also gives paint mix instructions. I also have AK Interactive IJAAF Colours kit AK2260, so I'm sure some of the colours will match. Also have AK2060, which will provide me with Mitsubishi Interior Green for the cockpit and other internal sections.

Interesting posts:

http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/2012/05/81st-sentai-mitsubishi-ki-46-dinah.html

http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/search/label/Mitsubishi%20Ki-46%20%22Dinah%22

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

George, @georgeswork

Thank you for starting this build journal. It looks like it will be a lot of fun, and you already have a good start on it. I have 3 of these "Dinah" kits in the stash, but mine are the larger 1/48 Tamiya version. I do eventually have plans to build them up, and when I do, I will likely have a build journal for them as well.

I really like the second picture you posted, where it is an illustration showing the brown and yellowish tan colors used in conjunction with the IJA green. One of my Tamiya kits has the Tiger decal for the tail section, so I might just be able to pull that off... Now you have me thinking. 🙂

Thanks again, and I look forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is yet another of your amazing entries, my friend @georgeswork!
    Yes, might be an oldie, but definitely a gem of a kit!
    Very thorough research so far and I like a lot your already done progress. This will be a super build upon finishing and I look forward to see your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great entry, George @georgeswork
    The Dinah is such a gorgeous looking plane.
    It will look great in the chosen scheme.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like a nice kit,George , @gerorgeswork. Those decals look interesting and useable too.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents, (@lgardner), (@fiveten), (@johnb), (@ssgt)
    Glad to have you guys checking out the build.
    I did get quite I bit done with the build, as seem in the photos. Placing the cockpit in the fuselage and securing the wings.
    I did some comparison with the various kits I have:
    this build is the 1/72 LS (L&S Co., Ltd) Kit No. A-301:300 originally from 1975
    1/72 Hasegawa CP5, initial release in 2000
    1/72 Airfix A02016, this kit is 2013 but original tooling from 1965
    1/48 Tamiya 61092 kit, kit from 1998 with original tooling from 1996

Comparing the decals from the 1/72 kits, The LS decals look like the will stand up to the task, even though they are over 40 yrs old.
    The LS Decals also have the best looking 18th Company 'Jumping Tiger
    The Airfix kit from 2013 looks to have the best leading edge ID strips.
    The Hasegawa kit look to have the best all around decals with the best looking 81st Flt Reg symbols.

Comparing some of the engraved detail - the rear stabilizers on this LS kit actually look similar to the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit! Amazing! Rivets not found on the Airfix or Hasegawa kits in 1/72

Comparing the wing tips, this LS kit seems to be a bit 'rounded' were the three other kits all seem to have similar 'triangular' tips.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice job so far, my friend @georgeswork and really nice info concerning the various kits.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, George @gblair.
    Thanks for sharing the information on those various kits.
    Always suprising to see the differences between them.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Hi, John (@johnb). Thanks for the comments, but the George building this Dinah is @georgeswork. I have a couple of these LS kits in the stash, but have never seen them built, so I am glad to know about this build. I will be following along for sure. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Sorry for the mistake, @georgeswork and @gblair.
    Ofcourse the credits do belong to @georgeswork, likely caused by the auto function.
    My appologies ones more.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

great build! Will you buy aftermarket decals?

• Profile Photo

You can never have too many Georges around, John (@johnb) 😉
    Thanks Lis (@lis) - I have Warbirds Decals 72042 for the insignia and MicroScale Yellow Sheet for the leading edges.

With the build - my Bill Gunston books (Fighters of WWII) spec's the Ki46-II had 1080hp Ha-102 engines with two row 14 radial cylinders. This LS kit has the engines in two pieces - NICE! - painted Metallic Grey XF-56 with silver highlights and AK-2061 for the front housing.
    Airfix has no cylinders in its design and Hasegawa has the double row molded in one piece.
    The biggest question was placement of the engine nacelles as this LS kit only has ‘location tabs’ for the lower nacelles and the can be some movement from side to side with no tabs on the upper surfaces.
    The LS paint diagram does show the smallest tip extending past the trailing edge, but I wanted to confirm and compare.
    The Airfix kit has the nacelles molded in place and they stop at the trailing edge of the wing, no trailing tip extension.
    The Hasegawa kit has smaller more slender sized nacelles with actual great placement pins and they can only go in one place and there is a smallest trailing tip.
    Searching on-line, I found a photo of a Ki46-II with shows the nacelles do extend past the training edge just a little bit and a small tip goes past the trailing edge – looks like the LS and Hasegawa diagrams are correct.
    lots of Ki46 photos found at:

Mitsubishi Ki-46 with surrender markings
    When compared to the 1/48th scale Tamiya Ki46-III, that plane has the 1500hp Ha-112-II engines in the same layout. Bigger engines = Bigger nacelles = Bigger trailing tips which is the case with the Tamiya kit which had the nacelles molded in place so no guess work there. Thanks for stopping by.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice research and work on those engines, my friend @georgeswork!

• Profile Photo

Great work on the nacelles and engines, George @georgeswork
    This gap should indeed be there to my knowledge, this to be able to lower the flaps.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent so far. I have to post the photos tomorrow, but as it turns out , the panel joins and rivets of the Ki-46 (at least the recce version ) were putties for maximum aerodynamics.

Edit added photos

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.