Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan (Jill) 1/48th Hasegawa

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 89 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looks great Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great looks, Chuck!
    Let me echo that I love the polycap solution!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Colin, thanks, remember the criticism that Hasegawa received at times for what we had to pay for their kits and how sparse the interior at times were. This Jill is well done. Details on the IP's and consoles are well defined and one with a steady hand can really pick out the details with brush and pencils. An ability I don't have the steady hand for anymore , though my vision is still 20/20.the PE really helped enhance the cockpit a bit. So far a fun build, actually there all fun to build...

• Profile Photo

George your images were a big help in getting in some of the detail work on the interior. Thanks for those images. You know the polycap idea is not just a Tamiya one. Hase puts good use of them on this kit. As i look forward at whats next into the wing construction, Looks like the wingfold will be very much involved and will probably make it an easy result when it's time to install them at the end of the build. Looking forward to getting there.

• Profile Photo

Next up is to assemble the forward fuselage section and engine cowl.

The forward section is in LH/RH halves and is assembled.

Exhaust ring cowling is one piece and attaches to the front of the forward section. The lower exhaust stacks are molded in while the side manifolds are separate pieces

Next the cowl ring is attached to the exhaust ring, I checked to see if I leave the exhaust stacks off to install later after painting. And you can so I will leave them off for now.

Next up is main wing panel, and install the forward fuselage.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Chuck!
    The hase kit looks great so far!
    Love the Aotake!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, the Mission Models Aotake, seems to capture the correct look of this color when it dries with a hint of green. Really liked the way this paint has performed so far.
    Now to assemble the lower wing panels. Lots of polycaps used on this kit, not just for the prop or weapons.

The lower wing panel is removed and trimmed. Hase has been known to make the wheel bays to shallow like on the Hein. But these look fine and nice structure detail.

Poly caps, poly caps, is used quite a bit on this kit. First set inserted in the back of the wheel bay most likely to insert the landing gear struts.

The details are well done on the wingfold insert and the panel lines and rivets on the top panels.

Next set of caps are the clear ones and these are located into the center portion of the wing panels. A pair of round covers are then cemented in place over each poly cap.

Another pair of poly caps are placed on each of the wing fold mechanism panels, and then again covers are place to keep them in place.

Now the top wing panels are then attached to the lower wings.

Next is to attach the lower wing panel to the fuselage. And I would have to say this is one of the best fitting wing to fuselage join that I can remember, there is always seems to be a bit of a step no matter how careful. Not this case just a very easy to fill seam at the rear lower fuselage to wing join.

The forward fuselage section also fits very well all around the contact points to the fuselage and at the front of the wing join.

Finally installing the wing fold inserts into the ends of the wing panels.

more to follow

• Profile Photo

That's your usual Great progress, Chuck @uscusn!
    I noticed the many polycaps. The landing gear leg attachment one looks innovative, and I am curious to see the result.
    Good to see that Hase fit is assisting you!
    I like the Val at the background: keeping company to the Jill, as she is constructed!
    Eagerly waiting for you progress; excellent result so far!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, coming along very well, amazing how the fit on this kit is excellent all around, Tamiya like in certain ways with a bit more details. The amount of polycaps used on this kit is more than usual. We will soon see how well they perform in structural integrity over time.

• Profile Photo

With the basic airframe assembled. Now to attach the horizontal stabs.

Hasegawa molded these in 1 piece and in the neutral position. Cut if you wish to display them drooped down.

They each fit into slots on either side of the tail. Firm fit not too tight, which helps ensure a level fit.

The fit is very good here on the tail, nice and even level finish.

Next the intake scoop under the nosel.

The housing and grille are of 2 pieces.

It fits a bit offset to the left lower side under the nose. Again excellent fit.

Next up the engine and cowl...more to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I loved the drooped elevators, Chuck @uscusn!
    Great details too!
    So nice to see EoJ GB steaming up!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros but I will keep the elevators in the neutral position, maybe...hmmm

• Profile Photo

Now to detail the engine. First the engine is painted Nato Black

Next a light airbrush of Vallejo Steel is applied.

The PE ignition harness is attached and painted black.

The prop hub covers the engine crank case. Slipping in the prop boss into the hub and crankcase.

The engine assembly is then placed on the firewall.

Finally the engine cowl neatly slips over in place. Excellent fit. Despite being a radial add the large 8]
    cover over the crankcase. You don't see too much of the engine.

Next up go over the air frame, install the glass bits.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Some seam work along the wing roots and under the wing to fuselage contact point was quick and easy. The spine are behind the cockpit as well. Not much in putty otherwise.

Then next to work on the glass.

Starting with the bombers aiming window underneath.

Before attaching the windshield, the gun sight is installed and then the coaming painted NATO Black.

Then the windshield is attached.

Next the rear armored glass/divider is edged with the interior color and then attached behind the pilots compartment.

With all that detail, yet Hasegawa does not give you the option to display the canopies open, and honestly I do not have the patience to carefully cut them open. Thankfully the glass is crystal clear.

The rear gunners windows will also be displayed closed as well.

While waiting for the glass to set, I went ahead and assembled the torpedo.

Next is to mask all that glass...more to follow

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great work. Glad the wing/fuselage join worked out for you