Nakajima Ki84-1 Hayate (Frank) 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by Eric Berg · 57 · 3 years ago · Hasegawa, Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (Frank)
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

You did some serious painting, Eric.
    Great result!
    Good luck with your knee and quick recovery!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 8 months ago:

4 weeks after knee surgery and I’m sort of back in action as I can now sit comfortably at my workbench and stand at my airbrush station. Thanks Spiro!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good, Eric! Can't wait to see the finished model...

BTW - cockpit colors vary depending on when the airplane was built. Some were in the aotake laquer, others were in bare metal. And there are all sorts of variations in between...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jaimie: That’s what I figured so I didn’t use aotake because at that late in the game, Nakajima probably used whatever paint they could scrounge up. Besides aotake is a weird color.

Nice looking Frank!

• Profile Photo

Before I started any painting, I sponged-dabbed the the bare metal with AMMO liquid mask, a product I am not totally happy with, to simulate paint chipping and peeling. Then I airbrushed the undersides with Tamiya XF-14 J.A. grey acrylic.

• Profile Photo

Now it's time to go topside. Once again I sponge-dabbed liquid mask prior to painting. I sprayed the top frame, fuselage sides and canopy with Tamiya XF-13 JA Green lightened considerably with XF-71 IJN Cockpit Green and preshaded with NATO black - all acylics.

• Profile Photo

The next day I applied thinned coats of XF-13 J.A. Green. I'm a bit worried I might have overdone it but we'll see...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Welcome back, Eric.
    Nice to see you had a good recovery!
    And you had been very busy those last hours.
    I am very curious to see how this sponged liquid mask technique will tunn out.
    Your Frank looks very good so far!

• Profile Photo

Spiros - thanks but I have been posting photos all at once that were taken over the last two weeks so it seems like I am cranking away nonstop when I'm actually working in spurts.

• Profile Photo

The above photo was taken a couple of days ago. (Disregard the bluish reflections.)

After applying the J. A. Green, I got out the blue masking tape and pulled up the liquid masking blotches. I'm not sure if I over did the chipping as some extra paint came up as well. Halfway through I ditched the tape and just rubbed my fingers at right angles to remove the masking and that was much easier. So what you see in this photo is the Frank after two light coats of Future to get ready for the decals and the soon to be painted white fuselage band.

• Profile Photo

It's Sunday and I couldn't wait any longer. I had to see what what my chipping technique looks like with a couple of hinomarus decal markings on the top wing. I was going to hand paint them but decided it would take too long and be a pain. Painting the fuselage band is next and then back to the decals. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice chipping effect!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Indeed, your chipping effect is super, Eric @eb801!
    Eagerly waiting for your next installment!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik and Spiros. Do you guys ever use liquid mask? Any brand recommendations? I used to use Microscale but recently switched to AMMO to try it out but I don’t care for it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Eric, the only brand I have used is Humbrol's Maskol, as that was the only game in town where I bought supplies. I have never used it for chipping, only for those pesky little corners and rounded surfaces that the yellow tape will not cover. I still have to become friends with it, but it serves its purpose.

My new supplier does have other brands, and I may go there to get some, but no plans yet. One day I shall be doing some chipping with something, and tha Maskol may go for a trial, but so far I've no experience with that use of liquid masks.