Origami observation

Started by Philip A. Stelzer · 12 · 3 years ago · E14Y1, Empire of Japan, Glen, Yokosuka
  • Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 4 years ago:

I finally got the "bench" cleared off and started this...my first ever group build. The fit will be a challenge and the photoetch is testing my aging eyesight, however my love of Japanese eccentricities in aircraft design will push this through. Quite a small aircraft for sure, but i am hoping it will be a little jewel when complete. I plan to mark it as one of the airframes which reconnoitered Pearl Harbour after the attack to acquire damage assessments.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

What a challenge you set here! - I shall be tuned in on this.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik...
    I am not typically one to embellish an interior to any extent...but this one is leaving little option...
    wish me luck my friend...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Challenging for sure, but I can see your quality work putting things together, Philip @phillyhipower. Nice shots! love your work. I can smell the Dremelled plastic.
    It will look fantastic when finished!

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Spiros!
    Here the interior and engine are complete and ready for closing up,therefore my drama with the dreaded P.E. is wrapping -up as well. Floats assembled and cleaned up. This is a small airplane! And undoubtedly more dremelling to come!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Judging by the other objects in the photos, this is a tiny little plane ! It's coming right along too. Looks good Philip. I didn't know they used one of these to do a damage assessment recon of Pearl Harbor after the attack. I am learning so much from this Group Build.

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Well..the float struts were a lot less troublesome than expected ,however closing up the fuselage gave me pause to reflect on the fit of this kit. Only a moment spent on reflection though, a small sliver of plastic card and on towards filling and sanding. Priming and paint to come...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Hey Philip @phillyhipower! This small plane just looks greater and greater put together gradually. I love your work.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Philip A. Stelzer said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I have been called back to work so my desk -time has been reduced, however a few setbacks keep haunting me with this build,. My Tamiya decal set (which has never given me trouble before), ate through my Gunze H61 so...off comes the entire port wing finish, to not so happily re-paint. Then..more progress but egad, this plastic is soooo brittle, i snapped a float strut while it was being filed to a more reasonable shape (and did I mention , it was already painted as well)...

Minor setbacks, but time consuming. Hope to make big strides this long (May 24) weekend! After seeing so many great finished models in this group build I feel like I am falling behind!

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This plane has lovely looks, Philip, and your job is excellent. Eagerly waiting to see this done.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

A bit uphill it seems - thank you for sharing these details too!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This little plane has really come to life especially since the last time I checked in... This also has a very colorful paint scheme. Nicely done.

I am sorry to hear that it has been giving you such trouble. Once in a while we seem to run into problems like that, and I have a Monogram F9F Panther that has fought me every step of the way. I will continue with it, and once it's done I will be very happy. I think this will also apply to you and your float plane.

You too will prevail.