Tamiya 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M2

Started by Jeremy Millan · 57 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks good to me Jeremy, can't say I see much difference between yours and the one at the USAF Museum
    https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196313/mitsubishi-a6m2-zero/

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Tom @tom-bebout yea it’s pretty similar. Cool museum too. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I like it a lot Jeremy @jmillan!
    May I imagine that the next step will be to stand on its feet!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thanks. Getting there... Just a few decals and some slight weathering next.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Jeremy, it looks just right to me now - indeed the background does a lot for the color, and the dark grey just makes the plane look perfect! Well done to take the time and effort to think and get it just right. I'm sitting on the edge of the chair waiting to see the next update.

• Profile Photo

Haven’t seen much action on the forum Lately. I guess everyone is busy making models... or at work.

I think this will be the last update before this one is finished up. I was planning on doing the markings for Saburo Sakai’s plane but I had some trouble with the decals. Long story short I had to make due with what I had. The markings I installed on the tail don’t correspond with the white stripe I painted on the fuselage so I guess this will be considered a fictitious airplane. Oh well. I like how it’s looking anyways. I also did some light weathering with brown panel liner and a dirt colored wash with oil paints.

I got the prop painted up with my go to Tamiya LP11.

And the small bits all ready to be installed. I should have this finished up soon.

Not sure if I should finish the Model with a flat clear coat or leave the semi gloss which is has now? Thanks guys

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That's a nice progress, Jeremy @jmillan! You are getting very close to the finish line, looking very sporty!

Semi gloss (or semi flat...) clear coat is always a safe choice. I think IJN grey was towards the glossy area when applied new, following the satin, towards matt, road due to operational and weather conditions.

Having said that, a matt finish will also look natural at your nicely weathered Zero.

So, bring out your choice for us to admire!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

It is looking splendid Jeremy! My vote will be on the finish as is.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. I’ll go with matte since this is slightly weathered and faded.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I would leave it as is too. These planes were delivered with a gloss finish when new. The paint would loose it's shine as it aged, and it would also fade a little and become lighter as time went on.

It's yours, so build it however you like... shiny / dull, new or faded. Whatever makes you happy.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Paint work looks very sharp

• Profile Photo

I forgot to mention that I finished this model a few days ago. It's probably pages back by now on the headlines. If anyone hasn't seen it and is interested you can see it here... Now on to my next model. Thanks.

Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zeke