TYPE 97 CHI-HA *DIORAMA/VIGNETTE*

Started by gary sausmikat · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/35, Diorama/Vignette, Tamiya, Type 97 CHI_HA
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hey All,
    Not meaning to step on Mr Koppos's toes but I too saw a lack of non-flying subjects and decided to start the only Japanese subject kit I have in my stash.
    My build will be an OOB, small diorama/vignette based on the 1/35 Tamiya, Type 97 CHI_HA.
    So here we go...Hope you enjoy!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Ow! That was you? The more the merrier looking forward to how you do this.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Bill, Glad your not sending out the hit squad for me...LOL

Originally I wasn't going to join this group build because I didn't think I had any Japanese kits. I forgot I had this one, given to me by a co-worker a few years ago.

I waited until this morning to post once I had some ideas put together...when there yours was.

I too will be interested in seeing your build. We probably have the same ideas...LOL

Well, good luck and enjoy your build! At least our two tanks have plenty of air cover.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hello Gary,
    I'll be watching this one too... I have this same kit in the stash, and you guys are really tempting me to pull mine out of the pile and start gluing them together. I'm very interested in seeing how you build it up.

Clankity clank, I'm a tank... Yee haw it's a Chi Ha

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Louis has clearly been off his medication too long, Gary.

Like buses these, you never see one until two or maybe three come along! And I have a feeling all will be great!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey All!
    Finally have been able to get some bench time after working on my 1:1 scale diorama (replacing 120' of wooden fence in my back yard) Growing up in dairy country the saying goes " ya gotta make hay while the suns shining"

So back to the bench. Accomplishments to date:
    Research, research, research...mainly colors and battle damage.
    Assembling the lower hull suspension parts and running gear.
    Priming the running gear.

Up next:
    Replacing fenders and hatches with thinner plastic, which will eventually include battle damage.
    Replacing muffler grills and Engine Louvers with photo-etch parts.
    Starting the figures.

KEEPING IT FUN!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is going on very well, Gary @gwskat! I can easily predict it will turn out a masterpiece!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Spiros. Masterpiece?!?!?!? The pressure is on now...LOL

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Gary ! @gwskat
    I know what you mean about other projects getting in the way of building models... I have not had as much time as I would like to either as of late...

What you have done here is looking very good. I think those PE parts are going to look rather well on your model, especially in the areas where the armor was thin. The kit supplied plastic fenders and such are often way too thick, especially on little tanks like these. So I think it was a wise choice to go that route here and also replace them as well, using thinner plastic card stock.

Thanks for posting the updates.

Take care bud, and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Hey All,
    Hope everyone is safe and doing well.

Weekend update from my bench in Williamsport, PA.
    Not at work! Hockey on the TV! Modeling on the bench! Loving IT!

Bench accomplishments:

Removed the kit fenders.
    Created front and rear replacement fenders with thinner sheet styrene.

Kit “tool” box: removed top, thinned walls and top, added wear and tear.

Because the port side hatch will remain open and the interior will be visible when the dio is completed I closed off the port side hull underside with sheet styrene, added the interior seat for “visual depth” and painted visible areas with light gray.

The starboard side will not be visible so I did not close off the hull opening.

Mufflers:
    Removed kit grilles.

Because they will be visible when completed I added and painted interior parts.
    Formed and added wear and tear to the photo etch grilles.

Added wear and tear, including battle damage, and attached front fenders.

Modified kit engine grille with photo etch louvers.

Upcoming:
    I did not get to start the figures so they are still on the to-do list.
    Starting the diorama base/features. (Kits within themselves)
    MORE HOCKEY!

Until next time fellow iModelers:
    Stay safe, stay healthy and, as always, KEEP IT FUN!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow you're really gettin' into it. Going to be a very detailed dio. I'm just doing a boring outta da box. Looks great, are you doing that screen in the rear for the infantry to hang onto? (Seen in one of the pics above). Where is the dio situated? Saipan? Philippines? Or am I asking for privileged information? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Those details are fantastic! tuned in here.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Bill and Erik for your kind words.

Bill, No confidential secrets but I am planning on letting the build progress show where I'm heading with the dio.

Yes, I will eventually be adding a scratch built screen device.

The subject tank is "very loosely" based on an older paint schemed Chi-Ha used at Saipan. One of the main reasons why, I already have paint colors that match the early schemes. (being a frugal modeler). But when completed the "story" will not be pinpointed to Saipan.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This looks really great, Gary @gwskat!
    I love all these details embodied and I am tuned in with everincreasing interest.
    This is going to be super!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros.