TYPE 97 CHI-HA *DIORAMA/VIGNETTE*

Started by gary sausmikat · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/35, Diorama/Vignette, Tamiya, Type 97 CHI_HA
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

You have done some serious work with detailing the mufflers and replacing the fenders. The mufflers look especially realistic... Looks like you are having fun ! Thanks for posting these updates, and that's a cool color scheme you have picked for it.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hey All. Here's my latest update.
    Figures:
    I rarely use the figs straight from the box (especially with plastic kits)...I mix and match, reposition and rework body parts to accomplish the poses I'm shooting for.

Assembled. Added pins and secured to corks for painting:

Bodies and Heads primed with Mr. Color 1500: Will add helmets after painting.

Primed the Hull and Engine grill with Mr. Color 1500.
    I will let these sit for a number of days to give a good solid base prior to painting and weathering .

Until next time.
    Keep safe and healthy.
    KEEP IT FUN !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Those figures look amazing, Gary! Nice, quality work put on them by you.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice work, I also like the way you made the exhaust covers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great progress Gary. I will have to empty some bottles with corks! great tip - although a bit expensive, that is how the hobby is bringing us all over the place looking for simple solutions 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks All!
    Erik...I've tried different ways to mount figs for painting and so far the corks have worked out the best for me.
    Before a bike ride this morning I was able to get the turret assembled, with added damage to the antenna and primed.

This afternoon...watch some hockey and collect more bottle corks.
    Until next time...KEEP IT FUN Everyone...

• Profile Photo

Inspiring post - I'm off duty tomorrow, and think I'll join you in the effort of collecting bottle corks, though it may be some english crime story and a scotch cork.

• Profile Photo

Erik, Enjoy your time off. I'll have to admit the bigger corks were my wife's wine corks (I don't do wine) but the two smaller ones are from Glenlivet's Scotch...Mmmmmmmmmm.
    Hope you keep enjoying the build.

• Profile Photo

This is a nice looking turret, Gary, getting better and better!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Unfortunately, lately all my bench time has been on the weekends and other non-modeling projects have taken priority. Hard to get in a groove but it's getting there little by little.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, Gary that is excellent scratch work you have put into this tank. Beautiful work on the exhaust system and the other details over the rear deck. I'm not much into figures. But I do need to improve my skills on adding soldiers to the vehicles. The do seem to add to the overall tank or armor piece that your working on.

• Profile Photo

Hey All!
    I had a great three day weekend, so, along with another project, I also had productive time at the modeling bench.

My weekend EoJ build update. Here we go!

USMC Figures:
    What can I say about figures? It's always hit or miss with me and I struggled with these guys but for the most part I'm pleased with the results.

Getting started...Tools of my Figure trade and painted with Vallejo Model Color:

Base coated bodies and heads:

Shadows, Highlights, Straps painted and a light oil wash.

Faces completed. Helmets started:

Chi-Ha Tank:

FYI: The colors I chose and the paints I used were decided solely from what I had on hand and what looked close to the colors I wanted. Besides, they will be heavily weathered in the future.

Base coat of Tamiya Flat Earth.
    Added a coat of Tamiya Deck Tan as a base coat for the yellow stripe. (I never have good luck painting yellow but I find a light color underneath helps out).
    Yellow stripe of Tamiya Flat Yellow.

Masked the yellow stripe with Panzer Putty.

Camo painted Vallejo Air Green RLM62 and Golden Airbrush Colors Burnt Sienna Hue.

Before I painted the camo I added some Humbrol masking fluid where I want to simulate paint chips around the edges of panels and around the battle damage.

I will let the tank sit for a few days before I start the weathering stage, including removing the Humbrol chip areas.

Up next:
    Paint and add the figures gear and weapons and mate the heads and bodies.
    Begin weathering the tank.
    Plan/map out the diorama base.

All constructive comments and criticisms always welcome.

Until next time, Have a great week, KEEP IT FUN!

• Profile Photo

This looks absolutely awesome, Gary @gwskat!
    And the figures are definitley a "hit"!

• Profile Photo

Parts, bits and pieces all moving along nicely. Great journal!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hey All. My Chi-Ha weekend update.
    It doesn't look like much but I had another productive weekend:

Figures:
    Painted and added gear and weapons.

Painted the helmets.

Heads and bodies will be assembled when adding the figs to the diorama.

Dog Figure:
    Painted.

Tank:
    Painted and added the “wheels”.
    Removed the Humbrol chipping fluid, applied an overall dark wash and dark pin wash for shadows...more will be applied as needed as the build progresses.
    I was pretty pleased with the Humbrol fluid but I'd also like to try it with a lacquer based paint.

Added markings.
    The side markings are from the kit but do not represent any specific historical unit...I just used what looked good to me.
    I dug into my spare decal box to create the front hull flags. Each were created from a white decal cut to size and circles punched out from a red decal.

Created the crew added external “bed spring device”. To be honest I don't exactly know what this was used for but if I had to guess it was probably a way to carry cargo or maybe some kind of external rear protection. If anyone knows I'd love to hear.

The frame was created by cutting four individual pieces from a spare photo-etch frame. Then each piece bent to a 90deg angle and soldered together.

The mesh was created with cheese cloth cut to size, stiffened with diluted white glue and glued in to the frame.

After drying I primed and painted the frame.

I will add this device after weathering and when the tank will be added to the diorama.

Next up:
    Continue weathering
    Start sizing the dio base and scene.

Until next...KEEP IT FUN!