1/48 A-4Q Skyhawk.

Started by John Healy · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

It’s amazing what you find when you dig into the stash! I started this a long time ago and honestly don’t remember why I never finished it. I actually forgot about it. I guess it qualifies for the “Build it or bin it” group too. I’ll post it here. The A-4Q was the designation given to a group of refurbished Skyhawks supplied to Argentina by the US in the early 1970s. I’ll probably finish it as one of the green/brown camo aircraft illustrated on the box. I already have several American Skyhawks in gull gray. I liked these Hobbycraft A-4s. I still have several sealed examples. The canopy shapes are a bit off, but they look pretty good otherwise. They also came with a box full of ordnance. Stay tuned.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice, John. Nice that you had it already in your stash and apparently calling to you. Accounts suggest FAA aircraft in the conflict included A-4B/C/Q types so this should add to the authentic variety nicely. I am doing the Hasegawa A-4B/C - probably as an A-4C. Do you know this Hyperscale article about Argentine A-4 colors?

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/a4cargentineskyhawkjf_1.htm

It is mainly about the A-4C scheme on the Hasegawa boxart but includes color pics of the green and brown A-4bs. The article is very informative on colors of landing gear, wheel wells and also what shades are authentic for camo. I really like the green and brown scheme you are favoring. Looking forward to seeing it take shape. Welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Another great choice, @j-healy.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Yep, a great choice, @j-healy!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I shall be strapped in here too John!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the heads up on the HyperScale article, Colin. I saw that you were favoring the “C” and this one became a natural to build for variety. Another good reference source for Argentine Skyhawks is Modelingmadness. There are 5-6 nicely built Falklands A-4s featured in the Reviews section over there.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@j-healy - Guess what I found when I dropped by the LHS this week and checked out the Estate Sale shelves? This kit! Which I bought. So I shall be watching this like the proverbial hawk to pick up all the notes on navigating the minefield.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Great find, Tom. You don’t see these too often. They might’ve been Hobbycraft’s last kits, along with the 1/32 Spads. None of them have ever been rereleased. I built these three one after the other when they came out (2001-02). I think the “B” stalled out because I just got tired of Skyhawks and put it aside, fully intending to finish it...

They build up fast. I remember the ejection seats were a tight squeeze. The exhausts are lame and the canopy shapes are off. But they still look like decent A-4s when finished.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nic collection, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Thanks for that - yeah, they do look good. Also found a Hasegawa A-4L, which can get done as an A-4C with which I can use the really nice Cutting Edge Decal sheet for the World Famous Golden Dragons.

• Profile Photo

Finally got this one back on the bench. The first order of business was to put all the parts into a decent tray/lid type box. I hate end opening boxes and have saved a couple decent kit boxes to use in their place. The nose seems a bit too pointy on the kit. I reshaped it a little with sanding sticks and CA. I eyeballed it using online drawings.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The nose looks good, @j-healy!
    I also keep decent boxes, as to put my in work kits that came in a side opening one or a top opening crappy one!

• Profile Photo

Don’t drop your Skyhawk on a concrete floor...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It happens, my friend @j-healy!
    Nothing unfixable, though!
    P.S. I hope it was not thrown at the wall as of frustration... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Nice work on the HC Skyhawk john. These are not bad kits. I have built an A-4C and enjoyed it. Still have an Isreali A4 in the stash as well. Have yet to get the Hase A-4, but also the Monogram A-4 is not bad either. But really good to see that you got this one coming along quite well. Will continue to watch your progress.