1/48 Wessex HAS.3

Started by John Healy · 4 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Over the years, I’ve collected a decent number of kits to build a Falklands collection in 1/48. This one will be built as XP142, “Humphrey”, of HMS Antrim. On 21 Apr 82, this radar equipped a/c led two other Wessex helos to drop Special Forces onto the Fortuna Glacier with orders to observe Argentinean positions at Grytviken. The other two helos crashed in a blizzard and Humphrey returned to rescue all concerned. On 23 Apr 82, Humphrey rescued more Special Forces from a disabled boat. On 25 Apr 82, Humphrey depth charged the submarine Santa Fe which was then attacked by other British helos, forcing its abandonment.

I’m not a big helicopter fan, but this is certainly an interesting one that I look forward to building. I have another project that I’m in the process of wrapping up and will be starting this one soon. Thanks for starting this group, Colin.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Great entry and great story behind this helicopter, @j-healy!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

Love the Wessex, John. I am sure it will look great. This is a perfect example of what this Group is about, i.e. fascinating stories that deserve to be memorialized and modeled. Yours is the first helo in the GB but I hope not the last. I am considering doing a big scale Lynx that I have in my stash but, like you, I am not a helicopter guy and may not do it justice. Plus I am already stretched pretty thin with three projects so far. Still, I really like the Lynx though and it served gallantly in the conflict. We'll see.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@j-healy - This is a really interesting possibility. I'll be lookinf forward to what you do here.