Masking circles

Started by Cricket · 13 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I do these 1/6th brake rotors and most of the need the “hub” painted which to me is a pain. So I bought the circle template

( i used to use a plastic Drafting template) but it was too soft. This one is stainless steel and a bit higher than the plastic one so the knife blade doesnt ride up over the edge.

Once the circle is cut out I apply the tape to the rotor

press it down well. Then mount it on cardboard and seal it all with more tape

Next I spray it all with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (white), in most cases the rotor is chrome and the primer this helps the color stick to the chrome, this has worked in most cases for me and saves stripping the chrome.

After the primer is cured well I shoot the color

I’m also testing the insert photos in text trick…LOL 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks very effective, Cricket @bikequeen

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great trick, my friend @bikequeen! Also the chrome painting technique is equally great!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great trick @bikequeen, will definitely try it.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

i have been using a wad punch, but your method looks the better way to go.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Very cool - how do you get the outline so smooth mine always has jagged edges.

• Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hmm. Seems an sensible obvious solution to a PITA problem. I use a compass cutter occasionally. Combine this with a roto cutter...😎. Thanks. Nice one.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great work, Cricket (@bikequeen). I have suffered through ragged tape cut with plastic templates for a long time. Where did you get the really cool metal template?

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - I have the same question as @gblair... where did you get that? I have a crappy plastic one myself...

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair @brithebuilder and all. I am sorry I am not getting any email notifications from anything so I miss a lot of posts : (

I got the circle template on Amazon of course, I actually have 2 different ones and use a brand new pointed blade to cut…I do fall back on the plastic one from time to time but every time I use it i enlarge the hole 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair @fiveten @brithebuilder@anthonyricco @chrisballard @firelockg @johnb

Here is a photo of the templates the one on the left is heavier steel (both stainless steel) the one on the right has more hole options but if not careful the blade will ride up over the edge, once again I got them on Amazon forgot how much I paid

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cheers cricket. Have a look at these. Excellent for cutting camouflage masks and might (might) give you a better cut with those templates. Just a thought.

GYRO-Cut PRO Tool Fitted with Rotating Standard Cut Paper Blade Hobby Tool Craft Gyrocut https://amzn.eu/d/7nCjHBW

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi All,
    May I suggest a rotary circle cutter. A bit on the pricey side but this is one tool I'm glad I purchased.
    Quick, easy, smooth, crisp edged circles with no hole in the middle. There are different manufacturers but this is similar to the one I have.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.