Water Wings Group Build – 1/72 Arii Cessna 172

Started by Jaime Carreon · 3 · 7 years ago · Cessna 1/72
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 6 months ago:

While waiting to work up the motivation to get started on the Mariner, I decided to do a smaller project which has been sitting in my stash for a long time and qualifies as an airplane I have worked on as well.

This is the Arii Cessna 172, which contains parts for either either conventional landing gear or floats. The choice for me was obvious given the nature of the group! It's not a bad little kit, with a fairly decent cockpit. There was a LOT of flash and the clear parts leave much to be desired. Fit was so-so. Not a lot of parts so this one went pretty quickly, for me anyway. The only big omission is the cross bracing struts for the floats, which will be made from sprue or whatever I have in the junk box, Just got the wing on this afternoon, so it's about ready for paint. Going to have to use the kit decals, which include all the striping and registration numbers for a Japanese registered aircraft. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket decals for this one, so I hope these will be ok. Coated them with some Microscale decal film just in case.

Keep those builds coming!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Nice to see another putt putt, I actual worked for the company that made the floats for alot of seaplanes. Edo corp. they use to be in College Point N.Y. They got absorb at the end of the cold war by someone else. I don't know who does the floats if any one now.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 6 months ago:

We called them spam cans. Worked on a lot of those way back in my general aviation days.

The floats for the 172's are made by a company called Wipaire, which is still in business. They manufacture floats for all sorts of GA airplanes.

Wipline Floats