Water Wings Group Build. A modest 1/144 H6K4 'Mavis'.

Started by Ryan Boerema · 19 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ryan Boerema said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Kit, not the gashopon.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Ryan - looks like you're new to iModeler! Welcome to the community, and I look forward to the Mavis.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Welcome Ryan, looking forward to seeing the finished model. Remember, the most important part of this is having some fun!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Gentlemen. The plane, even though 1/144, is larger than I thought, which may be problematic, as I usually end up working in a 6" by 3" area.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IT Lahtinen said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Everything is in place, nice. Luckily there are 1/700 models available for both of us when the space starts to shrink. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Remember the 4th law of thermodynamics (modeler's version):

Space expands to fit the area required!

• Profile Photo

Started into my busy schedule of making mistakes.

I pre-fit the fuselage--which goes together quite nicely--but still managed to squeehaw the cockpit floor. Since I mix Testors glue with super glue--for quick drying and sandability--it was a quick and awful mess after relocating it that demanded sanding.

The parasol wing however, was more of a problem because it had raised gates, so lots of dedicated and ad hoc clamps holding it together--including a pair of hemostats. When I picked it up later, the hemostats twisted and tore off some plastic. Haven't figured out yet how to fix it.

Anyway, this is what progress looks like.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ryan Boerema said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Masked off white wing stripes and sprayed with rattle can silver for later chipping then painted with two tones of green.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Had my usual luck with masking, exacerbated by my genetic inability to paint a straight line--particularly if it's white or yellow. Did the best I could then did a bit of weathering.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Comin' along! Love the Tony I saw overlooking the work...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Mr. Kittinger. I'm looking forward to your Alf. Here's my toy-size interpretation of that odd aircraft:

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Adds new meaning to the idea of "water wings..."

• Profile Photo

I like "water wings" better than "flying fish".
    Closing in on finishing this H6K5 (not 4), having attached the main wing to the fuselage. Notice two things: first, I have still to snap off the pontoons, though there's still time, and, second, I strategically made sure this image didn't show the unde-rwing connection points for the supporting struts. This latter because I did such an excellent job that I did not wish to incite frustration and envy.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Ryan, that fish triplane is really bizarre! I love it!
    Also nice to see Pactra authentics, again. I still also have the odd bottle. I miss Pactra. Testors made them go away, so they could be king of the dungheap.
    A word- decals- easier than trying to paint stripes, though that is prototypical.
    Looks really good, and it won't take up the room my Hasegawa does.