Water Wings Group Build TBD Devastator

Started by Jeff Carle · 5 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Carle said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I stared the GWH kit after learning of this group build, and posted some in-progress picks. I am now posting the completed kit, which really went together well. While doing research on markings and use of this aircraft, I was impressed with the fact that only one was built, and it spent its entire career launching torpedoes at a test and development facility in Rhode Island. The sad part was learning that the TBD with floats was scrapped the day after the Navy stopped using it...The model seems to have been designed to have the wings folded, so I added some plastic card to try and strengthen the wings in the open position. I got way out of my comfort zone by painting the upper wing surfaces separate from the rest of the aircraft, and as a result ended up with a slightly different tone on one of the outer panels. That turned out to be the second of my challenges though. I planned on using the open cowl flaps supplied by the manufacturer, however, it had different plans since it disappeared before I reached that step..In any event, I am happy since this aircraft and the color scheme are one of my favorites. Thanks for looking!

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Jeff, pretty build of a rare plane! Like the Wildcatfish, and (Egad!) the float C-47, not enough of an improvement over the stock versions.
    It does make for a different build. Shame BUAER scrapped it, guess the wing couldn't be redone. Kinda neat looking, at that.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

There used to be a guy in my IPMS chapter who told us he once saw a TBD, late in the war. He was working for an aircraft manufacturer, and heard that one had landed on their airstrip.
    He took a look at it,and said it was built really strongly. Quite a rare and old airplane, at that point. Serving out its days as a hack.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 5 months ago:

That's really a nice build Jeff, and unusual as well. Thought I read a story about a recovery of a TBD from Lake Michigan, but once brought up the Navy reclaimed it. Went all the way to the Supreme Court and the Navy won. Wonder where's it is now.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice!