1/144 Revell Ekranoplan Orlyonok

Started by George Johnson · 8 · 5 years ago · 1/144, Caspian Sea Monster, Ekranoplan Orlyonok, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I bought this kit years ago shortly after it first came out. I had never heard of the craft before I purchased this kit and tought it was unusually weird even for the Soviets. The kit is rather basic, but of pretty decent qaulity. Everything fits pretty well so far unlike the 1970s MiG-21 I started last week. I need to build a highly weathered model for the upcoming show here in Portland. I won the Extreme Weathering category the last time we had a show here and wanted to compete in that category again. I like unusual subjects so this one will foot the bill perfectly. So far, I've only made one slight modification to it by replacing the molded intake grills with fine wire mesh that I got off a Boeing 747 cabin air filter years ago. I only have about 3 square inches left of it and thought it would work for this. The only negative thing I have to say about this kit is the exaggerated surface texture. It's reticulated to the point that I had to sand everything down to reduce or remove the texture. The bottom halves of the "wings" look and feel like they have milling marks across their surfaces. I lost several of the engraved recessed panel lines and had to re-scribe them.

I put the MiG-21 project on hold for now while I try to figure out what to do with it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

George, if you want a subject for extreme weathering...

• Profile Photo

That is kinda funny, David. I just ran across this very same photo. Yeah, I would say that's pretty extreme.

• Profile Photo

George, you are right; even for the Russians this is a weird bird. Even weirder that Revell made a kit of it, should give you kudos for rarity value.

• Profile Photo

I never thought of the rarity factor. I was just looking at placing it on a man-made island of sorts. I found this image to show you what I'm thinking. I've never made a water feature before so this should be interesting to say the least.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

These Ground Effect Vehicles are very exotic, Boeing were reputedly looking into this 'Pelican', with a wingspan of 500 feet, if you can believe it.

I think the water based dio will look amazing, George; keep us posted.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I'd never hard of this before either, George (or that Boeing prototype, either) - those crazy Russians tried a LOT of weird stuff (and that Corsair looks like it was burnt rather than 'weathered') 🙁

• Profile Photo

Check out this ground effects vehicle designed and built by those crazy Russian kids. They had an incredible imagination and they could have done so much more if it hadn't been for the system of government at the time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.