1/32 F4U-1 Corsair

Started by Jordyn Collier · 26 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This will be my first post in a long series of posts.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I love the old Revell stuff, especially the 1/32 planes. Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This is going to be a very cool build journal to watch... This just happens to be my favorite airplane, and I can remember building several of these monster F4U's as a kid.

Back then there was a TV show called "Blacksheep Squadron"...I would watch it once a week on TV with my Dad. The TV show was very loosely based on VMF-214. I mean it was so loosely based, the way one surviving Blacksheep member put it, "They got 3 things right... The plane was the F4U Corsair, our Squadron designator was VMF-214, and "Pappy Boyington" was our Unit Commander."

That pretty much sums the TV show up in a nutshell. But I watched it for the Corsairs and not the plot lines.

Looking forward to the next installment. Please keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

I love the history of Pappy. I did a massive presentation of the corsair for my ROTC class, so I learned alot about it. It is my absolute favorite plane.

• Profile Photo

I decided to start with the engine. I havent really painted many engines so I gave my first real shot at one for this build. I'm so happy I get the pleasure and honor of building such a historically important plane.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

On the resin set, the rear bulk head fits perfect, but the side panels and instrument panel need some trimming to fit properly, as these were really designed for the Trumpeter kit, but also mentions the Revell kit. But take your time, and test fit, as it is a vast improvement over the base kit stuff, which is really basic and really in 1/32nd scale, a cockpit is essential. Otherwise the overall shape of the kit is pretty accurate not bad for 1970. I was only 10 years then, yikes !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

On your engine, with a brush dip it in dirty thinner and just place the brush over each cylinder head and it will highlight the details and cooling fins.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Here are a few pictures that I took recently of a full sized Pratt and Whitney R-2800 that was being replaced on a restored F4U.

This might help you out with your details on the engine a little. You’re doing a great job with it.

I hope that these photos will help you along the way. I have many more pictures if you need anything else. Please let me know if I can help.

Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas.

• Profile Photo

I have been test fitting, and I found the same issues. In almost ready to paint.

• Profile Photo

Some progress on the wings. Gotta let them dry.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your photos helped alot. I'm going to he doing some scratch building now, lol.

• Profile Photo

I got the interior done and painted! It went so fast because I hand paint, and the paint I use dries quickly, so there wasnt much waiting for paint to dry. I also put a pic of the old cockpit in there as well.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here is some more progress. Basic assembly is done, now it's time to paint!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Giannis Asimakos said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I love the old Revell kit in the 1/32 scale. This is my own Corsair that i made in the mid '70es when I was a little kid. It is painted with brush. Sorry for the poor photo quality.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That corsiar looks nice. I dont have an airbrush (yet, I'm getting there), so I hand brush all of my models.