1/32 HA-1112 M1L Buchon conversion from Buchon Scale Models

  • 36 posts
  • Last reply 1 month, 1 week ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 36 posts
  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Now that the decals arrived, I’ll proceed with the review of the Buchon Scale Models 1/32 HA-1112 M1L “Buchon.”

    This resin conversion was designed by well-known digital aviation artist Ronnie Olsthoorn. There are no accurate drawings of this version, but Ronnie has developed a way to digitally measure photos (don’t ask me how) with the result that he can get very accurate data for three-dimensional images and creation of plans for 3D objects (like this).

    This conversion kit is significantly more accurate in shape and outline than the Greymatters kit I did a few years back and had to modify. It is also far easier (very modeler-friendly) to assemble. For instance, there are four parts to the entire nose section. All modification cuts to the donor Hasegawa kit (it uses any of the Hasegawa Bf-109G-2-G6 kits) are made on panel lines, and with care there will be a minimum of filler needed anywhere. In this case, I used the Promodeler release of the Bf-109G-4.

    Photos here show the modification to the donor kit fuselage, lower center section and wings, and assembly and test-fitting of the nose parts. I modified the cowling with a piece of Evergreen sheet to extend the roof of the radiator intake deeper inside, which improves the look.

    Overall, this is such an easy conversion it could be recommended to any modeler who can wield a razor saw accurately as a first resin conversion.

    12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    I have admired Ronnie’s beautiful works, since his first attempts in the awesome Luft46 site.
    Having “met” him through social networking recently, I am a warm follower; his works are simply amazing, so it’s not a surprise that this conversion’s design is of high standard.
    Thanks for this review, Tom.

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    The fitting seems indeed very nicely.
    Thanks for sharing.

  • George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    It looks like the resin parts will be a perfect fit, Tom (@tcinla). Looking forward to the rest of the build. What decals and paint scheme did you decide to use?

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    George = gonna do the sky blue lowers/silver uppers option. I did the overall blue when I did the Greymatter Buchon.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Wings done. The photoetch panels go on easily. I have the mounting holes made for the rocket racks. Test-fitted the whole wing subassembly and it goes together perfectly. Having done the wings before for the Tripala, it was easy. For anyone who can follow the very clear instructions, it will be easy too.

    The cockpit was also painted, now for detailing and doing seatbelts, then on to assembling the fuselage subassembly.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Looking good, Tom.

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Yay! Everything comes together and fits right!!

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Erik Gjørup said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Can’t wait for the 1/48 version.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    Coming together….

  • George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

    The paint scheme sounds great, and the decals will be a great contrast, Tom (@tcinla).

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Here’s assembly of the fuselage. The cockpit is from the Buchon Scale Models kit, done in resin to make the changes for the HA-1112 M1L. I used Eduard photoetch seatbelts and rudder pedals.

    Compare the side profile of the cowling attached to the fuselage with the photo above of the Greymatter conversion and you can see how “off” the Greymatter kit is.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    And here is the model fully assembled with wings and horizontal stabilizers attached and cockpit canopy parts attached. I used a piece of Evergreen sheet plastic instead of the photoetch part for the radiator cooler exhaust flap.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Fitting nicely, Tom.
    Looking forward to the end result.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Nice progress, Tom!
    The differences between this and the Greymatter conversion are more than obvious, when compared side by side.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 36 posts