1/32 HA-1112 M1L Buchon conversion from Buchon Scale Models

Started by Tom Cleaver · 36 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looks like the conversion is coming together, Tom (@tcinla). It's nice when everything seems to fit when doing something this extensive. Almost paint time.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Interestingly enough, the Greymatter conversion was done by Vincent Kermorgant, using drawings from Hispano Aviation's files.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking really good Tom!

• Profile Photo

Painted.

After applying a primer coat of Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black, I painted the upper surfaces with Vallejo "Semi-Matte Aluminum," which under a coat of clear gloss looks very much like aluminum lacquer, which was what the airplane was painted with. I used Vallejo "White Aluminum" for the fabric ailerons and elevators, painted on. The nice thing about Vallejo metallics is after you have your main color on, you can brush paint areas like the control surfaces, and the paint dries without brush marks. The underside was done with Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue, which seems an exact match to the color of the Buchon in the Museo del Aire and the color photo of the formation. Rudder was painted Tamiya X-2 Gloss White.

Decals tomorrow. I like that the photo of the real thing shows these airplanes spotless.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Mmmmmm, looks great Tom!
    Great job on the aluminum "lacquer".
    Last plane's rudder black cross (7 99 at the formation photo) seems to be a tad thinner than the rest?
    If so, I just love all those small - so familiar - variations!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great painting, Tom. @tcinla
    Those Vallejo paints seem to be quite impressive.
    Any idea what the 'complex' structure is underneath the left wing of the first plane?
    It doesn't seem to be present on the others.

• Profile Photo

That's the racks for the Oerlikon rockets. By this time (1964) these airplanes were being resuscitated back in Spain from participation in the Ifni War in the Spanish Sahara, so many of them would have had the racks removed at this point. Mine will have racks, but no rockets, since I haven't seen one in this scheme that was armed.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - good eye on the different crosses.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Tom, just wondering if you could include a picture of the instrumentpanel later - I guess there might be one in the conversion that is a bit different from the kit to correspond with the one in the actual planes, and I was just wondering how it might look.

• Profile Photo

Erik:

There is a different panel, but it's poor p-e, so I used the kit panel and decal. Nobody who will ever see this will ever know the difference.

• Profile Photo

Aaaaannnnnddd ----- FINISHED! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

The kit decals allow you to do either a Buchon of 71 Escuadron De Casa Bombareo used in the Ifni War or the Buchon in the Museo del Aire in Madrid. Going with the photo I have of the formation (above), I modified the decals to do a Buchon of 7 Escuadron De Casa Bombareo at Seville in 1964, toward the end of the airplane's service in the Ejercito del Aire.

Most photos of the Buchons of this unit show them either without the underwing rocket racks, or with the racks but no rockets. I opted for the latter. That way I can keep the rockets and put them on my Greymatter Buchon, which is the Ifni War markings option.

This is a really impressive model in person and I highly recommend it for 109Nutz who want to have this final version of the 109. I would recommend you have a couple conversions under your belt before doing this, but it's not really difficult.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Another fantastic build, Tom.
    Thanks for the explenation of the racks, they are a nice detail to this model.
    The aluminum look is great.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This conversion really came out well, Tom (@tcinla). The aluminum looks perfect, and the decals give it a really distinctive look.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - that color of aluminum is really interesting. "Semi-matte Aluminum." I think I have found my new "polished aluminum" paint for 1930s airplanes.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great build, Tom @tcinla!
    Nice, striking scheme!
    Great catch on the "Semi-matte aluminum". Would look nice on my-to-build (still idling) Ejército del Aire Ju 290 Airmodel vac, though I can spot a lot of panelling at the pics...oh well, we'll see...
    https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/junkers-ju-290-seeadler-ejercito-del-aire-1-72-airmodel-vac/