1/32 P-400 Airacobra

Started by John Ferdico · 4 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This is a continuation of an earlier post, but enough has changed that I decided to start fresh. The major change that it went from a late American Airacobra given to the Italians, to an early RAF Airacobra given back to the Americans. I started this project intending to build an Italian P-39Q from the Kittyhawk kit. Now it's a P-400 conversion using many parts from a spare Special Hobby P-39D.

The nose in finished and I am close to starting the paint on the external airframe. Here are some pictures of here getting ready for the paint shop. the plan is to paint the external surfaces, then mask off all the open bays and build and paint each as a separate model.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Here are some detail shots of all the little things that are making this project take forever. First is the spinner: The Special Hobby spinner has a more accurate frot end, but is slightly smaller in diameter than the Kittyhawk version. so, I cut each apart and fared them together.

The nose gear doors will be replaced by photo etch parts from Eduard. Brass tube is faired into the wing to assure a perfect circle and a sturdy mount for the .30 wing guns. The underside images show the various lights that are scratch built from clear sprue. They will later receive Eduard photo etch frames. Note the right wing has both US and RAF identification lights: not sure which I would end up building, I added both. Sadly, I'll be painting over the three colored lights, as they didn't appear on RAF Airacobras.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Welcome back John, nice to see the updates and your progress. The amount of detail you've put into this model is outstanding.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I can’t wait to see paint on this bad boy. Nicely done john